Gold Supporter
Oct 26, 2020
Poway, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Just wanted to share what i did to install the Harbor Freight mats and how it turned out so that others can consider it on their own build. Every situation is different but for me this worked out great:

I first laid down the cheap tarp that came with the Intex pool and staggered the mats (rather than a checker pattern) when putting them together "rough" side up like you would normally use them. I didn't tape the seams or anything, just laid the pool right on top. No issues with the mats separating and i can't feel or see where the seams are.

The mats feel amazing and i would absolutely recommend you use them if thats what you are considering.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220418-190328_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220418-190328_Gallery.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 113
  • Screenshot_20220418-190359_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220418-190359_Gallery.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 104
  • Screenshot_20220418-190436_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220418-190436_Gallery.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 101
Reactions: Newdude
Just wanted to share what i did to install the Harbor Freight mats and how it turned out so that others can consider it on their own build. Every situation is different but for me this worked out great:

I first laid down the cheap tarp that came with the Intex pool and staggered the mats (rather than a checker pattern) when putting them together "rough" side up like you would normally use them. I didn't tape the seams or anything, just laid the pool right on top. No issues with the mats separating and i can't feel or see where the seams are.

The mats feel amazing and i would absolutely recommend you use them if thats what you are considering.
Hi Dirrby! I'm considering these mats for our 22' Intex XTR. What you do you mean by staggered rather than a checker pattern? How are they holding up with no tape?

Hi IPT! I staggered the rows like you see in a subway tile pattern. So far they are holding together great with no tape. I waited to cut out excess mat until after the pool was completely filled but next time I will do that when the water is about a foot deep. At that point you can still lift the legs to remove the mat and plumb the legs back up.

Hi IPT! I staggered the rows like you see in a subway tile pattern. So far they are holding together great with no tape. I waited to cut out excess mat until after the pool was completely filled but next time I will do that when the water is about a foot deep. At that point you can still lift the legs to remove the mat and plumb the legs back up.
Hey Dirrby! Thanks so much for your response. Harbor Freight isn't shipping these right now but I found an equivalent with great reviews on Amazon.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
FWIW, Harbor Freight almost always has some sort of coupon you can use. They currently have a 20% off coupon for this Sat/Sun, and 25% off on Monday, Memorial Day. Available on their website.

Picked up 24 packs of these yesterday. Hoping that's enough. My pool is also 20'. I tried the 'subway tile' method recommended here and they don't stick together seamlessly. Doesn't seem to be a problem to just lay them side by side as intended. Pool goes up next weekend so I'll update next week. Hoping this works!

Reactions: kimkats
Picked up 24 packs of these yesterday. Hoping that's enough. My pool is also 20'. I tried the 'subway tile' method recommended here and they don't stick together seamlessly. Doesn't seem to be a problem to just lay them side by side as intended. Pool goes up next weekend so I'll update next week. Hoping this works!
Good luck! They weren't shipping so I had to go with an Amazon option. In the reviews people had mentioned they used them under a pool and it worked well. Excited for your pool to go up next weekend - woohoo!!!!!!!!!!!

I've had these mats since 2016. First they were under our Intex for 2016/2017/2018. We took the Intex down the fall of 2018, and kepts the mats in kind of a rolled up heap between a shed and the house until July of 2019 and then used them in our new to us pool. I'm changing out our liner today, and they are still in very useable condition after 6 swimming seasons and a fall/winter/spring sitting out in the elements. I think our layers are ground (clay soil) -> tarp -> sand -> mats. Weirdly some roots have made their way through the interlocking pieces and tape.
20220603_132058.jpg

Reactions: Dirrby
Pool is up! And not coming down until it falls down or a tree falls through it. Rubber mats seemed to work ok. I didn't tape or glue them. Just stuck them together in the "subway tile" fashion mentioned in this thread and hoped for the best. Pool is getting topped off now. From what I can tell I either have very very few wrinkles or none at all. But won't know for sure until I actually get in and it is COLD so it'll be a few days before that happens!

Pool is up! And not coming down until it falls down or a tree falls through it. Rubber mats seemed to work ok. I didn't tape or glue them. Just stuck them together in the "subway tile" fashion mentioned in this thread and hoped for the best. Pool is getting topped off now. From what I can tell I either have very very few wrinkles or none at all. But won't know for sure until I actually get in and it is COLD so it'll be a few days before that happens!
So how did it turn out?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.