Happy medium? Can it be done

fkeeley

Bronze Supporter
May 18, 2018
PA
I’ve been doing a lot of reading in old threads and articles which have pretty much indicated I shouldn’t be using my trichlor tabs in my automatic feeder.

I‘m reaching out for some thoughts here.

Ive just completed my slam and am letting my FC drift down to 4 (cya is 30).

I work 3 12s occasionally 1 24 Hour shift. When my days are stacked my pool is already off for the evening by the time I get home and my solar cover remains on unless I’m home and using it (pool is unholy cold - hence the two panels and a cover) So testing and adding liquid chlorine on those days just isn’t feasible as the pump isn’t running and my cover is on.

Someone has recommended using my chlorinator on the days I work and turn it off when I’m home and able to treat with liquid chlorine.

So a few questions on that matter

1. My chlorinator is directly in line (pump - filter - solar panels - chlorinator - return). So if I shut it off, I’m not sure how that affects overall pool flow. Or should I leave it “on” and just remove tabs?

2. Should I be setting my chlorinator to 2 or 4 when I can’t treat with liquid ? Pool math says my target is 4, but is that the number I’m using liquid chlorine for?

3. Everyday I’m home I should test and add liquid chlorine to my target of 4? Is this once a day? I’m assuming everyone using the tfp method is testing and treating once a day to their target?

4. Is it safe for me to add liquid chlorine with my solar cover down?

5. If im reading old threads correctly one 8 oz trichlor tab will raise my cya 2.2 ppm for roughly my size pool?

6. Are you just to maintain your target everyday or is there like a weekly “shock” type procedure recommended as well, not a slam, but just an extra jolt of chlorine.

Obviously im gonna have to watch my cya if I go this route, vac to waste whenever possible. Just not sure how else to do it when I’m leaving at 5 am and not getting home until 8pm several days in a row.

Thanks

Sorry for the question bombing
finally grasping what I’ve been doing wrong for so many years

if if I ever get my inground def going swg:fish:

Have you considered a SWG? I just finished a three PM shift stretch, my pool remained covered yet my SWG toodles along nicely on its own. I'll open the pool and let it breath a bit as soon as all this rain stops.

I've recently gone 2 weeks to Europe and left the pool like this with no problems. Its the only way to go, IMO!

Maddie :flower:

Have you considered a SWG? I just finished a three PM shift stretch, my pool remained covered yet my SWG toodles along nicely on its own. I'll open the pool and let it breath a bit as soon as all this rain stops.

I've recently gone 2 weeks to Europe and left the pool like this with no problems. Its the only way to go, IMO!

Maddie :flower:

Unfortunately our above ground is not worth the investment. Deck probably has a solid 3-5 years (5 being generous) and the pool itself is a lambert and likely put in sometime in the 90s - they don’t make parts for it anymore so we’ve got a few extra things on eBay in case of catastrophic failure. There’s tiny holes around the return where you can see the liner (which is 2 y/o). So overall the pool is on borrowed time.

As long as you keep a close eye on the CYA, pH and FC you can manage with tabs. Just know that if CYA gets too high you will need to do a partial drain and refill. Also make sure the pH doesn't drop below 7.0 Tabs are acidic and will drop the pH level.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.