Happy Independence Day to everyone! (ribs-what else)

15 pounds of pork shoulder, smoked (18 hrs @ 225) on the MES. I've got about 5 lbs left over. I'll make sure it doesn't go to waste.

y_not said:
chiefwej said:
15 pounds of pork shoulder, smoked (18 hrs @ 225) on the MES. I've got about 5 lbs left over. I'll make sure it doesn't go to waste.

Mmmmmmmmmm yumm! I soooooo love food. :mrgreen:
How did you serve it?

Also, what's a MES?
What wood?

MES 40= Masterbuilt Electirc Smoker. Easiest way to produce great smoked real BBQ. Digital remote control. Set it up and you can sleep through the night while the smoker does its thing.

For wood I used mostly hickory with some recycled whiskey barrel oak mixed in. Served on sandwich rolls with a splash sauce. Sauce is a sweet tomato base, brown sugar type with bit of habanero for zip.

Ah, ok, I gotcha. I love smoked meats and I have had Sooo many, so many different ways. The best I have ever had are wood fired smokers with no electricity anywhere in sight, except for a blower motor to keep it happy. I'm old school, but the taste is worth it.

Of course I won't turn down the electric kind, and that sure looks a might bit tasty! *smacks lips*.
I especially like the sound of that sauce you made. MmmmmmmMMMMMM

Some people like to use umpteen types of wood all at once too. I feel it just muddies the flavor and makes a mess of it. You just can't taste them all, nor do I feel it makes for a complex flavor profile either. It just makes a mess.

I stick mostly to hickory for beef and pork, but for poultry and fish often prefer fruit woods like cherry or apple. Mesquite is good on beef, but a bit stong for some people's taste.

I don't find much difference in taste based on the heat source. Propane, electric, pellet burner, charcoal or stick burner it's the smoke that makes the taste not the heat source. The only real difference seems to be the amount of smoke ring you see, but no real change in taste. The pink or red smoke ring is produced by incomplete combustion gases but has no affect on flavor. But if it makes your food taste better to stay up all night tending your fire, have at it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
New to the grill/smoker/kamado scene but I was amazed at how easy it was once I got the fire steady and the vents right. I added the wood ( mesquite lump) a couple starter cubes and waited for a good fire. Close the lid, adjust the vents a little tight and check in 15 minutes, adjust, wait a few minutes and the add the food. I was in the 220-240 range for four hours looking at the fire maybe four times in that period with a nice small pork roast and some country ribs ( off after two hours)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.