Hanging a rectangular Intex Ultra Frame Pool directly from the pool deck

I like the extra steel straps.

What still concerns me is attaching the 2x2 holding the liner.
I think that wood will compress and the 2x2 will also rotate, even if there was a solid base.

Some under support should be possible, perhaps like this? 31JFyWQgzRL._AC_UL160_SR160,160_.jpg

Ok, I don't have an intex pool nor am I an engineer...so forgive me if this makes no sense...

I also have concerns for the 2x2 holding the liner. In all of your diagrams you show that piece in cross section as round (as it would be in the standard set-up with the supports). I feel like the round shape allows for some rotation of top part of the liner with the force of the water, which would then reduce that rotational pull that destroyed it in the first place. Would there be any way of using something round instead of the 2x2 to allow for some slight rotation of the liner around that point? Maybe even use the pipe that came with the pool originally and attach it with some sort of brace to the corners of deck?

Love this project, by the way! Been following along and I can't wait to see how it finally turns out!
:D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Jonas:

I'm still concerned you are going the wrong direction here. The pool as designed by the manufacturer uses the top cord to distribute those forces around the pool and back to the water. Effectively using the water in the pool to stabilize the pool. I think creating the pool and the deck as structurally separate is a better way to go.

Gordon

It sounds like he's done a lot of scientific analysis of the forces involved, so it's going to take somebody with more expertise than I to say he's going in the wrong direction. I'm thinking that even if his design runs contrary to the one proven by the manufacturer as being tried and true, theoretically it's possible other designs may work also, but given what's at stake it should be thoroughly analyzed from a scientific and engineering standpoint before implementing. It sounds like Jonas is doing that. He's not necessarily right (but hopefully he is), but I'd be interested in hearing some science and formulas behind why his ideas won't work. Also I guess from a spectator point of view, it will be interesting to see his ideas put to the field test he's about to do.

As Gwegan i saying, a cord around the pool that can move a bit creates a lot less stress on the structure. That kind of stress will show only during usage/playing in pool. The liner itself can also move/stretch and take dynamic punches. So I think that will be enough (think :) ).

I would build the wooden structure different if I could do it all over again. I would build it like house walls leaning inwards.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Very nervous this year. I'm still trying though. If it fails I'm leaning on building walls using Leca-blocks and then a custom fitted liner.
df6b055fa7924def241efa4c7cf12d12.jpg
a4c08497d46410b69104695bfd31e565.jpg
6b3ed2ed4289a774555b8c053d78f6c0.jpg
931e21d575d68bdc3fb6c82da29a63f6.jpg
8defd631a861d9a8c23fb7345c317685.jpg
ebf39a728fe92d60ecad3a7cc128f3d2.jpg

01d59931adec9d0bae42cc69c99a9da8.jpg

535d78ddf63baadbe9d074469755a9d3.jpg

426159b0b73334e3051bd00964724cba.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.