Handling of Muriatic Acid

Can I pour MA directly into the top of the skimmer?

No, absolutely not.

The skimmer is suction and not a return. Pouring acid into the skimmer will be like pouring acid directly into your pump.

Reactions: proavia
NO. That will send a very corrosive bolus of fluid into your pump and filter. Possibly destroy your SWCG.

Do not add any chemical directly into the skimmer.

Ok got it. I thought return meant return to the pump. Ok I'm a dumb Rear. I've always mixed MA into a 5 gal bucket of water.

I have an infloor system. No return to pour into. Can I avoid mixing with water and just pour it in, maybe a little on each side? I'm trying to figure out if mixing is even necessary.

It is best to not pre-mix the acid. Just another step to spill it or get it on you.

Just pour what you need in to the pool near one of the infloor returns with the pump running. If you wish, use a brush in the area to mix it in.

Ok got it. I thought return meant return to the pump. Ok I'm a dumb Rear. I've always mixed MA into a 5 gal bucket of water.

I have an infloor system. No return to pour into. Can I avoid mixing with water and just pour it in, maybe a little on each side? I'm trying to figure out if mixing is even necessary.
I used to dilute it before adding. Not anymore. Less handling means less risk. Pour it slow as close as you can to one of the infloor heads while they're running. Then put the jug away and grab a brush. A few swipes in the general vicinity will get things spread out and mixing.

Ok got it. I thought return meant return to the pump. Ok I'm a dumb Rear.

For unknown historical reasons in pool systems water flows into the pool through “returns” and out of the pool through “suction”.

That is the opposite terminology of HVAC air systems where air flows into the rooms through “supply ducts” and out through “returns” back to the AC or heat system.

This confusing terminology has caught many folks new to pools.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Can you pour it slowly into the return vs just outside the return?
I assume when you state return you are referring to the skimmer?
I try to avoid feeding high concentrations of any chemicals to the pump suction (through the skimmer).
My preference is to dilute the chemical in the pool.
I just kneel next to the pool and hold the bottom of the gallon of chemical slightly touching the water and then tip the container so that there is no splashing.
To dilute the chemicals, I add the chemicals to the deep end where the two bottom drains are located and speed up the pump to evenly distribute the chemical.
The reason I avoid it is because of possible equipment material issues.
Materials like pump seals, valves, filter media and pipe metallurgy (as found in the heater) that may be affected by high concentrations of chemicals.
Seals in general can be an issue because they are made of a variety of materials that can handle certain chemicals better than others.
I am not a pool veteran but I worked as an engineer in industry for many years.
Opinions will vary...
That's my 25 cents.

Puertex

Last edited:
The skimmer is suction, not the return. Returns are where the water comes out the walls of the pool from the filter.

The skimmer is suction, not the return. Returns are where the water comes out the walls of the pool from the filter.
Thanks for the clarification.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.