Handling four day freeze in Central Texas, with power outages

BartonSwimmer

Apr 14, 2020
Texas
So I have an in-ground pool, that has freeze protection. My plan was to keep it running based on this protection throughout the freeze. But my power has been out 36 out of the last 48 hours and now with the worst part of the storm coming in, i am thinking of contingencies
I plan to
1. Release Filter pressure
2. Drain Filter by opening filter plug
3. Drain my pumps by opening the drain plugs
4. Obviously turn off the breaker (Step 0)

Is this good enough ? anything else i should be doing? or am i better off going back to the freeze protection mode?

thanks

If your power has been off that much, you may all ready have frozen equipment. It would be best to remove plugs, etc and drain as much as you can.

anything else i should be doing?
1) If you allow that much air into your system it should drain the pipes down to the level of the pool water. Depending on your equipment pad, there could be pipes where the water will get trapped. If you have unions you can just remove those pieces and drain them.

2) Gizmos, cut up pool noodles, or weighed down, half full, 2 liter soda bottle in skimmers. It will help absorb the pressure from the expanding ice

To chime in here...we are in Dallas and our fiberglass pool's ice is about 2" thick now but the pumps are still doing their best to move water. My concern is so much water is locked up in the ice that my level is really low and I can't add more water since our water lines are frozen. So...when the water level is too low, should I just shut it all down and pull the drain plugs on the pump and filter? Just let it free until temps get into the 60s this weekend?

So to provide a report on the aftermath:
I checked yesterday after suffering through 10 days of power/water outages. Visible damage includes three sets of almost level pipes which have shattered.
My next step was to fix the visible damage and then start the system up and see what shakes out.
Asking for advice on
1. How to trouble shoot other problems? Or should i just call a pool company and not mess with DIY debugging?
2. What specs/considerations are there on choosing the right pipes/sealants etc?

Looking at your signature the only equipment items you show is a filter and, though not shown, I suspect a pump. Visual inspection of those should indicate any issues. Cracks, etc. If those appear to check out, then repair of the piping and then testing the system is next.
Pipe should be Schedule 40. Fittings should be Schedule 40 and NOT DWV (Drain/Waste/Vent). Those are not designed for pressure service.

Reactions: imrodee
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.