Hand holding needed! Water balancing attempt for SWG conversion .

Yes, permasalt for 2 1/2 years but pretty much ditched the permasalt system mid year last year and used tablets. I Physically removed the Permacrap for this year. Last straw was they wanted almost 500 bucks for their start up kit (they usually offered a heavy discount every spring but not this year, covid, short supply was the excuse) There is a bit of residual copper in the pool but the seller advised that was not an issue.
He also advised an rj30 plus was plenty big but I had already ordered th 45 by the time he got back to me.

I installed a Circupool rj45 plus a couple days ago.

The water was clear when I opened the pool! I just vacuumed and removed a few leaves and it looked like the photo I posted. I had to add about 10% of pool volume of water to top it off. Since opening I add a gallon or two of bleach per day and upped my salt levels from 1000 to >3000 in preparation for the SWG.

If your CYA is 50+, I see no reason a RJ45 could not manage this pool. What is the volume? Some more and updated detail in your signature would be of great help.

Poof huh? You wouldn't happen to have a UV system in your pool plumbing? that would chew up CL... I agree with Marty.. there is something else going on.
No, nothing else. Just the two speed pump and 26" sand filter filled only to 1/3 with a 50/50 mix of sand and Zeo sand. Pool store did the mix on initial install but didn't fill enough.
I replaced all the media for the second year with the same mix but filled to 2/3 of the tank. I also stream lined the plumbing. Flowing 65 GPM on high and 35 GPM on low with clean filter.

The pool doesn't get used heavily.

If your CYA is 50+, I see no reason a RJ45 could not manage this pool. What is the volume? Some more and updated detail in your signature would be of great help.

The RJ45 only been in two days.

CYA I believe is right between 40 and 50 testing last night under artificial light indoors...
I have a K-2006C plus a K-1756 for salt and the speed stir. Bought this week per advice here.

Strips for borate, and from last year a Pentair rainbow CA kit.

You reported CYA of 50 a few days ago, then 0 two days ago, then added 1 gallon of liquid stabilizer. So was the 0 an incorrect entry?

If you have 70 ppm CYA in the pool water, water is crystal clear, set the SWCG to generate 4 ppm FC per day and add enough liquid chlorine to get to 7 ppm FC. Test in the morning the next several days.

Add all that information to your signature. Data in the signature helps us whom are trying to help you.

You reported CYA of 50 a few days ago, then 0 two days ago, then added 1 gallon of liquid stabilizer. So was the 0 an incorrect entry?
I apologize sir for the confusion. And THANK you guys for hanging with me. If you guys are ever in Bell Buckle TN lunch is on me at the Cafe!

In an attempt to roughly balance the pool water in preparation to convert to a SWG I was working with a variety of test kits and strips that gave me conflicting and inconstant data.
I thought I had a CYA of 20 via those test. At that time I added 30 oz of powdered CA. That was Tuesday IIRC.
When I got the K-2006C Wednesday it tested CYA at 30 and I added a gallon of liquid "instant" CA. Last night my CYA tested with the K-2006C somewhere between 40 and 50. Dot disappeared exactly half way between the 40 and 50 marks.

OK! Current test results. 12 noon

FC - 20.5

CYA via K-2006C, outdoors but cloudy.... 40
CYA via Pentair R151226 79 CA kit (last years) .... 50

SWG is now off.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If the pool water is clear, and it appears you are keeping FC levels, set the SWCG to generate 4 ppm FC per day. The FC will trail down with your lower CYA. Once the FC hits about 10 ppm, add 20 ppm worth of CYA.

Reactions: cparktd
If the pool water is clear, and it appears you are keeping FC levels, set the SWCG to generate 4 ppm FC per day. The FC will trail down with your lower CYA. Once the FC hits about 10 ppm, add 20 ppm worth of CYA.
Just to be clear, I may be confused... It failed a OCLT test last night, FC went from 2.6 to 0. So I assumed a SLAM was in order. I added 11 gallons of bleach this morning to bring the FC to 20.5.

Quote Per KataoDude this morning (post #30):
"CYA of approx 45 = 50. SLAM level is 20. Get FC up there. Dont worry about CC
Aerate a little, but anything in the 7s is good.
The most important thing is Maintaining your FC at 20."

Do I continue the SLAM or abandon it now and let the FC drop?
I'll take another FC reading in about 20 min. Eating lunch :)

OK -- follow the SLAM protocol. To have overnight FC loss, you have organics in the water and debris should be showing itself on the pool floor. Or there is testing error.

FC dropped to 13... down 6.5 in 2 hours!
Answers my question I guess. Continuing on...

Thanks for your patience. You guys really got to love this stuff to put up with a dense guy like me!

So I added 4 gal of 6% after the reading of 13, and one hour later FC 24.5. CC 0.5
After 2 hr 15 min. more it is at 22.
So, 2.5 drop in 255 minutes vs 6.5 in 240 minutes.
So very roughly it only dropped 1/3 in the last ~2 hr period vs the previous ~2.
Plus it was cool and overcast this morning and it is 80 with the sun blazing down now.
Much better, hopefully it's turning our way.
Pool is clear, very very little if anything on the bottom.
Haven't put the ladder in yet.
Only one small light / return combo under water.
I backwashed the sand filter and drained it for winter, and I stirred the sand and backwashed it again on startup.

Just riding it out right now and trying not to bother you guys too much.
I will keep the FC at or above 20 until I go to bed and see what it is in the morning.

Katodude,
I see you are in West Palm Beach. Been to FL several times. We came down to Titusville once for a Shuttle launch. One off the bucket list!
We also did a road trip once and drove the entire coast line of Florida. That was part of a bucket list item as well, to drive all the entire circumference of the lower 48. (not all at once). We have only covered from DC to Texas so far.

Hummm, you got me thinking... I had the solar cover on most of the time until today and it was dirty with some green stuff on it. We did spread it out and brush and rinse it off several days ago but didn't use any cleaner / bleach. Definitely possible there was some contamination there. My bad! I left it on all winter, with a winter cover over it, helps float it nicely, and then a leaf net over that.

I used to drive up to see the shuttle launches years ago. Now you can see the spaceX launches. It really is something increadible.

Good catch on the cover. Get that cleaned up as best you can.

Once you are algae free and you keep your FC on the high side of things. Algae wont be able to take hold again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.