Had to drain pool and start fresh.

Aug 6, 2018
Marion, OH
Had to drain pool and start fresh. Pool store said all I need to do is fill pool with water then shock the pool and that's it when first opening it. So I wanted to make sure that there is truly nothing else I need to add to the water when first opening the pool. I am adding water from my garden hose and I live in the city. Any help would be great.

Re: Had to drain pool and start fresh.

Pool School - Guide for Seasonal/Temporary Pools

The best advice I can offer is stop listening to the pool store and read this.

The tablets and shock you use adds extra stuff you probably don't need or want. Trichlor tabs and dichlor shock cause your CYA (stabilizer) to rapidly increase. As CYA goes up you must maintain ever increasing FC levels to keep up with it. Liquid chlorine will avoid all those problems.

Shock - not at all. New water has very little FC (Free Chlorine) and no stabilizer (CYA), so you know you need to add those. You can count on:
1 - Adding stabilizer for a minimum CYA target of 30
2 - Increasing FC with liquid chlorine or REGULAR bleach on day 1 to about 3 ppm. After that, balance as noted on the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA].
3 - Test adjust pH to stay in the mid-7 range. If high, use muriatic acid to lower (never add at same time/location as bleach).

If your pool is under 3K gallons, that link above is perfect. If your pool is more than 3K gallons, you'll want to do a little more. Let us know if you still have questions.
ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

See #2, post 3.

Bleach. No scent, not splash less, no fabric protection. Plain bleach. Or liquid chlorine, same thing just higher % sodium hypochlorite.

This is my test results and was wondering what I need to do I had to drain my pool and restart and this time I am hoping for the best.
Total Hardness: 250
Total Chlorine: 0
Free Chlorine: 0
Ph: 6.8
Total Alkalinity: 0
CYA/Stablizer: 0

Any help would be very nice cause I love clear blue water thank you very much.

I was the floater with the tabs in it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.