Had family watch after the pool - it didn't die!

May 18, 2018
Rowlett, TX
Had some family watch the house while I was out for a few days over the weekend and came back to a crystal clear pool (albeit with 0 chlorine and pH above 8.0, and very, very low on water)

Dumped in 2.5 gal of 10% last night and ran the filter (after filling for 3 hours) and woke up to 13 ppm FC and no CC, and added 4 cups of acid. Might overshoot the pH a bit but it'll come back. I think the high pH was probably from getting air out of the lines when I fired the pump back up after filling.

I'll give her a good scrubbing tonight but the pool survived vacation, yay!

Thought I'd take a look at the filter since I have not since we moved in... for the side by side comparison:

GoG45lUl.jpg

Had 1 ppm loss overnight the night I cleaned the filter, 0.5 cc in the morning and over last night I had zero loss and no CC in the morning. I wonder if the state of the filter was causing higher than normal daily loss... If I could get down to 1/2 gal of 10% per day, that'd be pretty nice.

lol - so what exactly did they do while you were gone?

I asked that they put 3/4 gal of bleach in daily, but they did not show up on the day they were supposed to, skipped a day of putting in anything, and left a day early... They have an indoor pool, I thought they would be on top of it.

I had not looked at the filter before that, didn't mean to imply that the filter mess was due to their stay if that's how it came across.

I asked that they put 3/4 gal of bleach in daily, but they did not show up on the day they were supposed to, skipped a day of putting in anything, and left a day early... They have an indoor pool, I thought they would be on top of it.

I had not looked at the filter before that, didn't mean to imply that the filter mess was due to their stay if that's how it came across.

No not at all I was just wondering if they had any pool experience. Apparently they do not follow the TFP method! I watch my neighbor's pool when he goes away and treat it like my own. Daily chlorine and pH tests for sure and would also add water if needed. If their grand total of "watching" your pool was adding chlorine one time, I think I would find someone else to watch it the next time.

No not at all I was just wondering if they had any pool experience. Apparently they do not follow the TFP method! I watch my neighbor's pool when he goes away and treat it like my own. Daily chlorine and pH tests for sure and would also add water if needed. If their grand total of "watching" your pool was adding chlorine one time, I think I would find someone else to watch it the next time.

Oh it was just bad timing, we were going to be out, I would have just threw pucks in a floater and prayed. They just happened to be coming into town so I thought I'd put em to work. I think my wife talked about having her friend learn how to take care of it too for next time...

I was gone for 5 days. I had the solar cover on the pool + a floater with some pucks in it. Came back to a clear pool with some chlorine still in it. My brother was pet sitting for me, but I think he only swam once since the weather was cool. As long as your CYA isn't too high pucks are OK here and their for vacations. (Or when your house came with a giant bucket of them to raise your CYA in the spring :p)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.