Had a drop in CYA... I'm confused.

Sep 13, 2016
Waterville, ME
Hey all,

I had my pool nice and balanced. Crystal clear. With the solar cover on, was adding about 30 oz of 12.5% bleach a day (a little higher than last year's average). CYA had last been tested at 40/45 when I first started opening the pool. I left for vacation for a week and threw in two bottles of liquid shock.

When I returned, chlorine was unsurprisingly non-existent. But the pool looked in great shape; still very clear. However, I found that I was adding a whole gallon of bleach a day (a very high amount for my pool), so I figured I'd SLAM the pool. Still chewing through chlorine with no signs of easing. Today I decided to test CYA just for s**** and giggles. CYA was well under 30 (I could easily see the black dot), and the scale doesn't go lower.

Now I'm confused... I thought that CYA couldn't go down — That the only way to bring it down was to drain water from the pool. I have done very little draining (just opening up the filter drain valve to clear out debris), and needed to add 3-4" of water early in the season. Hardly enough to make my CYA plummet, I would have thought.

Today, I added 4 lbs of dry stabilizer to the skimmer, and am running the pump 24/7 for the next few days.

What could have caused CYA to drop off so much? Am I missing something?

Do the following:
Raise your FC in the water using enough liquid chlorine to get to 10 ppm using PoolMath. Circulate the pool for 15 minutes. Test FC and CC.

Thanks Marty. I just checked it this morning. It was already at 10.5 FC and <0.5 CC. Last I tested it (yesterday morning), I had tested about 10ppm, and added enough liquid chlorine to get to 18ppm (Pool Math target based on what I thought was a CYA of 45. That was my last addition.

OK -- my request above was to check for ammonia. But if the pool is holding FC, then that is not the issue.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.