Had a big "uh-oh" when working on pop-ups

Sep 13, 2015
Avondale, AZ
So yesterday I was working on my pop-ups gear cluster. Some of the small retaining washers holding the gears down were gone, and the gears were walking off each other. Well, I couldn't fit a vernier into the opening to measure the shafts, so I simply removed the whole thing to take to ACE to get the right sized replacements. Well, when I lifted it off, some of the T-valves opened up. Then, as I moved the cluster out of the way, the center shaft slid out, and like a Michael Jordan buzzer beater, nothing but net it literally fell RIGHT in the open T-valve opening.

The cluster is right at the edge of the deep end: 9.5 feet. So I'm assuming the plumbing literally goes straight down to the abyss. What the heck do I do now? I'm thinking that shaft is in there for eternity. I'm fine with buying the rebuild kit (the gears were worn anyway), but I am concerned about that shaft in there. I'm sure nothing will clog, but my fear is over time it will wear through the PVC.

What are your thoughts? :( Help.

Hey, I dropped a PCV valve into the intake manifold of my 2001 Nissan and I sweated it for weeks that it’d cause problems, but it never did and now it’s someone else’s problem—and I just remembered it now. :hammer:
All believe sways toward it’s gonna be fine and maybe it’ll make its way through smooth 90s and show up on the pool floor.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.