Had a big "uh-oh" when working on pop-ups

Eric618

Sep 13, 2015
Avondale, AZ
So yesterday I was working on my pop-ups gear cluster. Some of the small retaining washers holding the gears down were gone, and the gears were walking off each other. Well, I couldn't fit a vernier into the opening to measure the shafts, so I simply removed the whole thing to take to ACE to get the right sized replacements. Well, when I lifted it off, some of the T-valves opened up. Then, as I moved the cluster out of the way, the center shaft slid out, and like a Michael Jordan buzzer beater, nothing but net it literally fell RIGHT in the open T-valve opening.

The cluster is right at the edge of the deep end: 9.5 feet. So I'm assuming the plumbing literally goes straight down to the abyss. What the **** do I do now? I'm thinking that shaft is in there for eternity. I'm fine with buying the rebuild kit (the gears were worn anyway), but I am concerned about that shaft in there. I'm sure nothing will clog, but my fear is over time it will wear through the PVC.

What are your thoughts? :( Help.

Eric618

Sep 13, 2015
Avondale, AZ
Is the shaft steel?
Put a magnet on a string and send it in for the rescue?
I'm waiting for the rebuild kit to arrive to see if it's magnetic. It's got to be stainless, and some stainless is magnetic, and some isn't. That's going to be my only hope though.

jblizzle

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 19, 2010
Tucson, AZ
That would be the easiest ... I am sure there are snakes and cameras that could go down and find it and grab it, but likely would have to hire someone.

Eric618

Sep 13, 2015
Avondale, AZ
Well, the rebuild kit came. The shaft isn't magnetic. Of course it isn't. That would have been far too easy. So I threw it all back together. I'm just hoping for the best at this point.

KDpoolguy

Bronze Supporter
Mar 5, 2017
Palm Desert, CA
Hey, I dropped a PCV valve into the intake manifold of my 2001 Nissan and I sweated it for weeks that it’d cause problems, but it never did and now it’s someone else’s problem—and I just remembered it now. :hammer:
All believe sways toward it’s gonna be fine and maybe it’ll make its way through smooth 90s and show up on the pool floor.

Thread Status
Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.