H400 IDL2 ignition problems

vHoss

Jan 15, 2020
Dallas
Howdy all, thanks for all the help over the years.

I have a Hayward H400 IDL2 that consistently gets an IF error. When it first appeared it was intermittent, after a few cycles it would always lite. After troubleshooting it appeared to be the flame sensor, which I replaced. Problem was the same, it was intermittently lighting other times it would cycle over and over again and get an IF.

After more troubleshooting, I'll replaced the igniter. Still same behavior and it finally got to a point where it wouldn't light at all over the last few weeks. Cycle's three times and I get an IF.

Went to the service manual tore down the manifold, checked all of the offices and they were all clean. When the heater kicks on it's cycles, exhaust fan runs, gas valve clicks on, you can smell gas, you can see the igniter on in the window, but no ignition.

Today in a final attempt when the gas valve opened I literally blew into the ports near the igniter and an ignited and continued to run and heat.

Could I have a draft problem, low gas pressure, I'm out of ideas to try.

Thanks for any suggestions!

I am assuming that when you said you checked all the orifices you mean the orifices on the gas manifold. It is also possible that the problem is caused by the burners. There can be spider webs inside of the burners or the slots on the burners can be blocked by either dirt or rust. The inside of the burners clan be cleaned with a burner brush and the slots on the burners can be cleaned with a wire brush.

Attachments

• burner brushes.txt
    802 bytes · Views: 5
I am assuming that when you said you checked all the orifices you mean the orifices on the gas manifold. It is also possible that the problem is caused by the burners. There can be spider webs inside of the burners or the slots on the burners can be blocked by either dirt or rust. The inside of the burners clan be cleaned with a burner brush and the slots on the burners can be cleaned with a wire brush.

You are 100% correct! I removed the orifices without removing the burners and they were all clear, not realizing the burners inside needed to be cleaned as well. After cleaning all eight of the burners and reassembling it lit the first time!

Thank you!!!

Small oversight on my part not realizing the burners came out. I also probably didn't need the new igniter and flame sensor but I have backups now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.