H250 gas regulator fail?

MassBlastr

Jul 3, 2022
Massachusetts
Hi
I have a Hayward H250 heater that I installed myself. It was working great for a couple weeks then threw an IF code. Tore it all apart and found that an old copper pigtail on the propane was causing flow issues. Replaced it. Now the solenoid valve in the heater isn't functioning. Getting 11 INWC on the inlet and close to nothing on the outlet when the valve opens and tries to fire. There is a change in pressure about .4 INWC on the outlet when the heater tries to ignite and its getting 24VDC so it's not the control.

I tried calling Hayward to confirm the part was faulty but they just told me to call a pool company?

Any help is appreciated, do I try to take the valve apart and check for blockages or just replace?

Cheers,
Taylor

First, NEVER disassemble a gas valve and try to put it back in service. Extremely dangerous. It sounds like the inlet screen to the valve may be clogged. Or, the valve may have failed. Even new stuff doesn't always work the first time. What did you tear apart? If the heater is new enough, there should be a warranty, but for homeowner installations it is limited.

Since Hayward used the same HXXX designation for their heaters, its hard to know which one you actually have.
Does the igniter glow? If not there will be no ignition. Could be a bad igniter or board. Igniter can be tested for resistance. I believe it should be in the range of 80-100 ohms.
Do you hear a large "click" at the valve just before igniter goes out? If not it could be the valve or the control board. If you do and gas doesn't flow, bad valve if there is no blockage at the inlet.

Don't take the question wrong, but is the gas cock at the heater open? I go to at least one heater service call a year where that is closed. And that is after I ask on the phone if it is open. It happens and is easy to overlook.

I was able to isolate the issue to the gas valve not opening despite receiving the voltage, felt the click of the solenoid or whatever, pressure on the outlet increased by 0.4 INWC with no ignition despite glowing ignitor. Reading 11 INWC on valve inlet.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.