Gunite staples on pool remodel?

Njmurvin

Nov 8, 2019
Simi Valley, CA
The time has finally come to start getting bids for an i/g remodel in SoCal. The pool is 30+ years old with the original white plaster. In all, it still looks very good. However, there are some cracks in the plaster and a few spots where small sections of plaster have come off. I had my first contractor visit for a bid. He mentioned something I have never heard of. As I mentioned there are some cracks in the plaster. He noted that there could be similar cracks in the underlying gunite (makes sense) which can be determined once the plaster is chipped out. If so, he recommends installing "staples" into the gunite which are essentially u-shaped pieces of rebar applied to keep the gunite cracks from spreading after the new plaster is applied. He said this could add as much as $1500 to the price of the job if deemed necessary. Is this a fairly common issue and is this the right solution?

Thanks for the youtube link, AJW22. That's very helpful. I think the contractor was trying to describe the process, not suggest actually using U shaped rebar.

I guess it just surprises me that this could be helpful when there's so much steel reinforcement in there to begin with. When I built my pool 30+ years ago, I seem to recall there were 2 levels of steel reinforcement (I think it was the spacing between steel bars) required depending upon the engineering report. Even though my report qualified me for the lighter duty configuration, I opted for the heavier duty because the cost wasn't that much greater. I must say it did survive the Northridge quake in 1994 and quite a few smaller ones over the years.

Hi. Can you share what you decided to do with the pool repair? We purchased a house that has a pool which needs to be replastered. We were told that the pool most likely has structural cracks. I have had 4 bids. Two said they use staples and two said they cut out the crack, use rebar and refill with gunite. None of them guarantee the crack repair if they start leaking again. I can't decide what to do. Any advice would be appreciated.

Hi. Can you share what you decided to do with the pool repair? We purchased a house that has a pool which needs to be replastered. We were told that the pool most likely has structural cracks. I have had 4 bids. Two said they use staples and two said they cut out the crack, use rebar and refill with gunite. None of them guarantee the crack repair if they start leaking again. I can't decide what to do. Any advice would be appreciated.

I would go with staples + epoxy as a repair. I think it is stronger structurally.

Let's see if @AQUA~HOLICS has some thoughts.

I second the use of staples, have seen it done first hand once many years ago and do not know the outcome as of today many years later. That being said, what is the underlying reason for the pool to have such a failure? This also needs to be addressed along with the type of repair. I would also contact a steel engineering firm in regards to this situation and get their opinion of best/strongest solution.

Reactions: Newdude
Thank you for your reply. I will look into finding a structural/steel engineering firm. The original pool was built in 1966 so I‘ve been told earthquakes and heavy clay soils can cause this type of damage. I am in the Bay Area.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.