Gunite shot yesterday. Contractor says DON'T water it.

Feaker

Gold Supporter
Dec 7, 2019
Austin
I always thought that it was supposed to cure for a couple weeks and that you were supposed to water it at least twice a day. I watered it this morning and now My contractor says he has guys coming out tomorrow to start doing tile and coping work so don't water it tomorrow.

Is that right?

Read Watering New Gunite and Concrete - Further Reading

Gunite will cure stronger if watered.

Strength_of_28_Day_Moist_Concrete.png

It's strength will be ok if not watered. I would water it around the tile guys work and keep it moist when the trades are gone.

@bdavis466 what are your thoughts about tiling a few days after the gunite is shot?

Last edited:
When was it shot? I think usually they wait at least 2 weeks to do anything to it. I know my shell was warm to the touch for almost 2 full weeks.

PBs do it all the time to push jobs along. Not the end of the world but it's better to water it daily. If the time doesn't bother you tell him straight you want the strongest shell possible and get a solid 10 days of watering in then let him do his thing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.