Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45
Hi everyone,

I'm currently working with my PB.

Plain plaster included in price for pool.
Diamond Brite will add another $3500 to the pool.
Pebble Technology will add $10,000 to the pool. (30 year warranty)

First,... Pebble Tech is out for me. Costs too much initially and can't afford to add it in.

Plain plaster is white. Adding Diamond Brite to the pool will give it a nice bright blue color.

My PB says adding the Diamond Brite will make the plaster last a few years longer. I was told by PB that the plaster will last like 9 years before having to re-plaster. Adding the Diamond Brite to plaster will give it a few more years.

From your experience or knowledge what do you think about adding diamond brite to the finish. If not for just cosmetic is Diamond Brite worth it?

Thank you for your feedback.

I got the same quote to refinish with Pebble Tech sheen from one contractor as another for Diamond Brite. I think Pebble Tech only warranties for 5 years now if I remember right.

General rule is
Plaster 8-12 years
Quartz 10-15 years
Pebble 15-20 years

Diamondbrite is quartz.

A TFP pool, balanced to TFP recommendations, will last a lot longer than pool store/pool service pools. We have folks here who have plaster last 20+ years.

I have pebblesheen, which is great, after 7 years I have no doubt that it will last forever. But, my next pool will be quartz, likely diamondbrite. Quartz is smoother, lasts a long time and gives you color choices. For less money.

Reactions: GoGrande
I’m a big fan of the tented plaster, typically adds $500 and there are a lot of options. I know that wasn’t asked but the more information you have for your decision.

Agreed that a properly maintained pool can make the plaster last much longer than 7-9 years.

General rule is
Plaster 8-12 years
Quartz 10-15 years
Pebble 15-20 years

Diamondbrite is quartz.

A TFP pool, balanced to TFP recommendations, will last a lot longer than pool store/pool service pools. We have folks here who have plaster last 20+ years.

I have pebblesheen, which is great, after 7 years I have no doubt that it will last forever. But, my next pool will be quartz, likely diamondbrite. Quartz is smoother, lasts a long time and gives you color choices. For less money.

Thank you pooldv for that input. This gives me a piece of mind about adding it or not.

rfrank1515 - Did you meant "tinted" plaster? I tried googling it to see if it was for me but not sure if I was able to find it. I appreciate any feedback. I am very close to finalizing with my PB. If the stars are aligned and between price and wife we will have a pool by this time next year!

Sorry that’s always what I’ve heard it called.

Maybe where you are at it’s plaster dye, ask the plaster contractor and he should know what you are talking about.

I don’t think they like to do it as the markup is minimal and it takes a little more work to trowel out as it is prone to streaking.

But I just did mine in gray and i loved they way it came out.

Yes. Gunite is the underlying concrete. The plaster is a layer on top of it. I recently re-plastered my gunite pool, and Step 2 was to jackhammer out the old plaster down to the gunite.

So I guess the plaster comes off and the new more resistant finish goes onto the gunnite? I might do this since my plaster is a mess since getting black algae and needing to scrub it multiple times with a wire brush. I am still pulling up sand from the bottom.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.