Guidance welcome! How concerned should I be about chemicals not that pool is closed?

Rockish

May 24, 2020
Harrisburg, PA
I’m sorry if this is a redundant question, I tried looking this up and reading past posts but not seeing something that answers all my questions.
This was our first summer enjoying the inground pool we put in during the spring.
We got a free closing with the pool company and because we are so new at this we just let them do their thing.

I have handled all the chemicals all summer and tested the pool water daily. We had crystal clear water the entire summer (thanks to this site and pool math). I anticipated the pool company would add an algaecide so 5 days before closing I raised the chlorine to SLAM levels and let it come down. We are in the northeast and have kept the solar blanket off trying to get the temperature of the water down. We are still getting day time highs of 60’s and lows and 50s/40’s. Despite that, we only got the water down to 72 on closing day.
Anyways, I wasn’t home when they closed the pool, my husband was. He isn’t the chemical guy, he’s the pool cleaner and pump maintainer. He said that they added shock at 3x the level and that was it, no algaecide. We have a safety mesh cover on the pool and they recommended dumping chlorine in once a month until it freezes. I’m confused how they know what “3x” is since the water wasn’t even tested.
It’s been two days since the pool was closed and now I’m nervous that the algae will be growing in 3 days if I don’t do something.
If algae does start growing will the winter kill it if we open early enough to monitor?
Should I be testing weekly, monthly, never?

I over analyze things but this pool has been a big learning curve for us and we did so good I don’t want to screw it up now!

Are you sure they didn't add an algaecide? My local pool closer does but it is metals based so I always tell them to skip it. You can add algaecide anytime and just mix it with a leaf rake/scoop.

I always wait until my pool water is below 60 to close. I would check chlorine level every couple days and make sure it doesn't drop too much while the water cools off. Once your water is 60 or below, you can totally ignore it until you open in the Spring.

Are you sure they didn't add an algaecide? My local pool closer does but it is metals based so I always tell them to skip it. You can add algaecide anytime and just mix it with a leaf rake/scoop.

I always wait until my pool water is below 60 to close. I would check chlorine level every couple days and make sure it doesn't drop too much while the water cools off. Once your water is 60 or below, you can totally ignore it until you open in the Spring.

They told my husband we didn’t get the enhanced closing package (which they never offered or gave us an option) and therefore we didn’t get algaecide.
Thanks, that’s more along the lines of what I was thinking about checking, thanks for confirming.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.