Ground prep help please, my brain is breaking

Jun 7, 2018
Hull GA
Hey guys,
Long time lurker, always found the answers using a search so never needed to post. LOVE the TFP method of maintenance.
Our SummerWaves pool lasted a few years and finally bit the dust last year so we went with a hard side option this time
We went with a Contempra 24’ pool from poolfactory (not sure if links are allowed). The ground prep is making my head spin. We initially wanted to follow the manual, instructions attached. The whole 2” deep x 2ft’ perimeter of rock dust, set the rails down then throw 2” sand in middle is what’s tripping me up. Obviously they want the rail and legs well supported but how do we keep the perimeter contained to 2ft without going into the interior of the pool? Is there an easier method to this madness that is still going to give the proper support so the pool can last a long time?
Thank you x10000!

Attachments

• 335B4C7F-849F-433A-8EA8-188C4FCBD216.jpeg
    335B4C7F-849F-433A-8EA8-188C4FCBD216.jpeg
    195.5 KB · Views: 30
  • E42B29AC-1FBD-4CC3-99DD-30186D6A5097.jpeg
    E42B29AC-1FBD-4CC3-99DD-30186D6A5097.jpeg
    208 KB · Views: 26
Hi! Yeah that is confusing on how to make it happen. Lets talk about some MUST does-leg supports. They say they are optional...nope they are a MUST! Other wise they will sink in the ground over time.

Lets think about why they want the crushed gravel..........is this to help keep rain from washing out the bottom of the pool? All I have under and around mine is sand.........now it is a LOT of sand so..... I guess you could put the leg bases in then put the bottom caps and bottom rail on. That might help keep the crushed stuff out.

Please tell me you go the foam cove. That is SO much easier to use than just sand.

There are a lot of videos on how to level the ground for pools. Give a look to them to see what they use and how.

Kim:kim:

Reactions: Kashally
The way I read it, the stone dust would go inside the pool some becasue the lower track is place in the middle of it, right??. If I was going by their directions, I'd put my stone dust down and tamp it down good. I'd also use pavers under my uprights. Then my sand would go up to the stone dust or over it. The cove build up would be over the stone dust. I'd lay some kind of floor pad over all that before the liner. I don't know though becasue most of the video installations I've seen just use sand. I have seen that you can use stone dust for the entire base but you need to make sure to put a pad over it before the liner. I"d call pool factory and ask them. It seems from reading their instructions that the stone dust is for making a more solid foundation for the uprights??, but the pavers would do that too, right?? Honestly, I'd be scratching my head too, and would either call pool factory or put it up like most of the videos and most of the people on here....pavers, foam cove, sand or foam. Good luck with everything and congratulations on your new pool!!

Reactions: Kashally
Yes foam cove! I’m debating myself over the stick on vs clip on right now. And the pad things. The decision making never end and it’s not a strength of mine!
I’m glad it’s not just me that’s confused by it! We had another company come out today to quote the leveling and sand portion of the build. He said he’s done a few pools and always done sand all the way around, the rock dust and similar will rust out the frame it’s touching. So now I’m looking up other builds and how they do it lol ?
If we skip the rock dust perimeter can we just use pavers for the legs or does the entire circle need to have pavers? Thank you all for your help!!

Make sure you put the pad down first, then the foam cove on top of it and against the wall.
You won't be able to get the foam pad cut in close enough to the cove if you put the cove down first and then the pad. It will be uneven under the liner and you will see it.

Reactions: kimkats
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.