Aug 30, 2019
Westchester, NY
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hey all,

Having an issue after I vacuumed the pool yesterday where the pump seems to be making weired "gargley" type of noises. I didn't think I got air in the hose but I possibly did.

My pump basket was a little dirty so I cleaned that out. Oring seemed fine enough (slight wear but no leaks". After cleaning basket the pump primed fine enough after a few seconds and there are no bubbles in it. Here is a video of what is going on. It's every so often and not continuous which I guess is better?

Sounds like something bouncing around in the impeller. With the pump CB off you know how to reach into the impeller and check for debris?

I do not, no. Is it something a novice can do? Will it eventually move it's way out or is it something that probably should be removed?

You need to go in and clear it if the water suction has not sucked it into the filter.

There are YouTube videos on it. Look for “pool pump impeller clog”

You need to go in and clear it if the water suction has not sucked it into the filter.

There are YouTube videos on it. Look for “pool pump impeller clog”
Legend. Thanks, I went in and use coat hanger and didn't really feel anything in there, tried swirling the water as well and nothing....tried for like 5 min but since my pump below water I didn't want to continously waste water coming out. It does seem like something is in there like a pebble but can't get to it.

Thing is my airflows and returns seem to be fine and psi seems pretty normal, from when I had to replace the unit 2 days ago to now.

It’s something rattling around in the impeller section that you probably picked up when vacuuming. That is what I don’t like about vacuuming to the filter is it all has to be caught in the pump basket or pass through the pump to the filter.

I much prefer a pool cleaner that has its own bag to catch debris so the pump isn’t at risk and the filter does not get loaded up with the debris.

It’s something rattling around in the impeller section that you probably picked up when vacuuming. That is what I don’t like about vacuuming to the filter is it all has to be caught in the pump basket or pass through the pump to the filter.

I much prefer a pool cleaner that has its own bag to catch debris so the pump isn’t at risk and the filter does not get loaded up with the debris.
That's a good idea I'll have to look for that...is this something I'll have to keep trying to get or will it eventually pass through? Assuming not.

Since it's gunite pool could be the sediment in there or a rogue pebble

It's not hard to open the pump. Shut off power at the breaker. Remove the six bolts and pull back the power end.

Don't remove the back cover like he does in the video.

Remove the diffuser and check the wear ring and impeller.

Here's a video of what to expect.

Last edited:
It's not hard to open the pump. Shut off power at the breaker. Remove the six bolts and pull back the power end.

Don't remove the back cover like he does in the video.

Remove the diffuser and check the wear ring and impeller.

Here's a video of what to expect.

Thanks for this! Seems easy enough.

Is it damaging if I let it run while something could be in there? The pump has no bubbles, returns are fine and blowing normal, skimmers suction fine, psi seems good.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.