Greetings TFP from Texas

singularity80

Aug 14, 2019
Rowlett, Texas, USA
I am a newer resident of the eastern edge of Dallas and bought a home with a pool. My first 45 days have been quite an experience with the pool, learning mostly and trying to manage a high stabilizer situation (around 90 in successive tests) and some trouble spots with algae which from what little I know so far is likely related to the high stabilizer. The pool itself is a 15K gallon curved edge bowl type, gunite, with an integrated spa/spillover. It looks decent when the pool is clean and running right. I don't particularly care for the VS-1 pump so far...it just seems very finicky but that could easily be due me not knowing enough. The previous owner left me no instructions and not even referring information on who was servicing the pool and equipment. I found who was by sheer accident.

So at least I have that, and week over week, things are "okay". My goal in being here is to learn more and get to a little better than okay.

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: This time of year it's good to have a pool. :swim: Let us know if you have any questions.
ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Test Kits Compared
Thanks. I want to do a fair amount of reading and searching before I get some questions out there, I imagine there's plenty to find here that's already been asked. My weekly water tests have shown most everything is in "good" ranges except for the aforementioned stabilizer.

Are you testing yourself or is someone else (pool store, service company) testing for you? If so what test kit are you using? It's very important that you perform your own tests from a quality test kit. Also, please fill out your signature with all the info you have on your pool.

As a fellow Texan from the DFW area, welcome to the forum.

Are you testing yourself or is someone else (pool store, service company) testing for you? If so what test kit are you using? It's very important that you perform your own tests from a quality test kit. Also, please fill out your signature with all the info you have on your pool.

As a fellow Texan from the DFW area, welcome to the forum.
Thanks, had my information in the wrong spot when I signed up. I am performing my own tests as well as having the water tested weekly at the store who serviced my pool in the past before I owned the house. My home test kit is a Taylor K-2006.

Trust your tests over the pool stores. Read the ebook and the pool school articles, watch the videos. After that, it's easy peasy. Test everything weekly, FC (free chlorine) and pH daily, adjust as required. Use the pool math link (or better yet the app with a subscription) to determine your required adjustments. I add LC daily with a chlorine injection pump (Stenner, about $250) and add acid as required.

not sure what your water costs over there, but a 20% change out on mine wasn't that expensive, maybe $30-$40

You don't need to dump the whole pool, you just want to bring it down from 90 to about 50.
C1*V1=C2*V2
  • C1 is the current concentration of CYA
  • V1 is the volume to be removed (i.e. how much to remove from the pool)this is what you are solving for
  • C2 is the final concentration of the diluted solution. This is your goal CYA (50)
  • V2 is the final volume of the diluted solution. This is the volume of your pool
I know the volume units are Liters not gallons, but it doesn't really matter.

After you drain/fill, retest and drain fill again as required

I estimate you need to change 8,300 gallons. You can either use your existing pump, and direct to waste to lower level, than refill or do a "feed and bleed" where you drain out as your pumping in. Use a cheap submersible pump from Harbor Freight to pump out from the deep end, refill from the shallow end.

The choice is up to you how you want to run your pool, just trying to provide some suggestions.
Also talk to your municipality about waiving sewer fees for pool operations. Sometimes they will work with you.

Reactions: singularity80

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support