Greetings From Melbourne Australia

riseup

Jan 6, 2019
Victoria
Hi fellow pool users,

I'm a pool owner experiencing my first summer with a pool (yes it's summer here). My new years resolution is not to rely on pool shops for testing and advice as I feel that I am being taken advantage of. I'm pretty (very) clueless about what I am doing and am hopeful that this forum can assist.

All the best

Andrew

welcome to TFP
what type of pool and how do you plan on chlorinating
Hi there,

We moved into a house that was built in 1980, the pool was the only thing that we didn't inspect properly :mad: it is a concrete rendered pool that we had to strip right back and resurface, approx 50,000 litres with a spa that for some reason doesn't have any pressure in the jets and we can't work out how to get the bubbles going. The pool has a salt chlorinator, pump seems ok although I want to change to variable speed one as it is noisy and expensive.

I still have to read all the info on here but my latest issue is the total chlorine level seems to be dropping lately. We went away over xmas for 10 days and I left it covered which may have something to do with this?

Welcome to TFP Andrew,

With the warmer weather its easy to get caught out with algae which sounds like it could be your issue. This is the result of not maintaining the appropriate levels of chlorine rather than the cover itself being the primary cause and the only way back is to SLAM your pool. However you'll need one of the recommended test kits which you can get from Clearchoice to complete this procedure.

It would also help us if you set up your signature

Thanks Jezza

I'll try and get the details for my sig. Do you recommend a particular test kit? I got home yesterday to some calcium build up on the three rows of tiles that are along the water line so more work to do now.

Pool pictured below showing the tiles, excuse the feet!

7UVR3FqqoZdjqaaj7

7UVR3FqqoZdjqaaj7
20181118_151753.jpg

Hi Andrew from Brisbane [emoji112][emoji2532] Pretty sure you guys stole our summer! We haven’t pushed past 30 for several weeks now. Order the clear choice labs complete test kit (get the salt water one if you have a swcg which I assume you do). Might seem like a bit of an initial outlay but it will save you a fortune and keep you out of the pool $hops. Very easy to use although it does take a little practice to begin with. Also download the pool maths app and the pool school iBook. Read the book... a couple of times. When you test using your ccl test kit you plug the numbers into the app ad it literally tells you what to add and how much. You will need a fairly accurate pool volume. Good luck! This is my first summer with a pool too. We build earlier in the year, so I have had a little time to get my head around the testing.

Hi Andrew from Brisbane [emoji112][emoji2532] Pretty sure you guys stole our summer! We haven’t pushed past 30 for several weeks now. Order the clear choice labs complete test kit (get the salt water one if you have a swcg which I assume you do). Might seem like a bit of an initial outlay but it will save you a fortune and keep you out of the pool $hops. Very easy to use although it does take a little practice to begin with. Also download the pool maths app and the pool school iBook. Read the book... a couple of times. When you test using your ccl test kit you plug the numbers into the app ad it literally tells you what to add and how much. You will need a fairly accurate pool volume. Good luck! This is my first summer with a pool too. We build earlier in the year, so I have had a little time to get my head around the testing.
Hey Riley

Are you referring to the Total Pool Water Testing Kit for $174?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hiya, I would recommend the speedstir as well - they're so good but also so hard to find in Aus.
That ebay link is a "good price" compared to what I've seen some people charging. I know how much they are at trade prices here in Australia and there's not much margin by the time they land.

I once bought a $30 aliexpress magnetic stirrer to play with and it was so bad. Soooo bad. It wasn't designed for pool tubes, but even so it was supposed to be a variable speed one so I thought I'd give it a shot.
Turns out variable speed meant off or full speed jet power turbine! I tried turning the dial but it had little impact. It spun the magnet so fast at one point the tubes flipped over and spilt everywhere.
I'd recommend it for kids parties though, but only with coloured water and definitely outside, it's like your own crazy whacky game of chase a tube! :whoot: