Greetings from Fayetteville, NC

Jul 8, 2018
Fayetteville, NC
Hello everyone!

I was referred to TFP by a neighbor on the Nextdoor social app. I just moved into a house with a beautiful in ground pool and I hope to maintain it myself.

The water was crystal clear until I went to a chain pool store with a sample and put a few additives in. Now I've got something on the bottom that the pool store said is probably mustard algae. It may be a coincidence, but I feel like the additives (baking soda, PhosFree, and a weekly additive by Leslie's Pool) somehow fed the algae. I'd appreciate any suggestions to help get rid of the algae.

I also noticed one of my skimmers does not seem to be pulling in water and I'm thinking the line may be blocked. Any advice on that would be welcome as well.

Additionally, my pump is not on a timer. It is plugged directly into a 240V outlet and runs 24/7. If anyone can recommend a timer that I can put in, please do so. I'm sure the electric bill will be high with it running so much.

I look forward to learning from everyone and eventually sharing knowledge with others.

John,

Welcome to TFP.... a great place to find all the answers to your "Why do I keep getting these letters?" questions.. :shark:

I am no fan of Leslie's but I doubt the chemicals they gave you caused your current problems...

As your TFP neighbor must have told you, we are all about testing our own pool water and then only adding exactly what our pools need.. So, if you follow our pool care principles, you will never be adding any more PhosFree, or any other kind of Magic chemicals sold by pool stores.

Unless your TFP neighbor is going to let you use his test kit, you need to have a test kit of your own. Either a TF-100 (what I use) or the Taylor K-2006C (and yes the 'C' is important).

I am assuming that your pump is being run off of 115 volts.. if that is true, than you need this timer... https://www.amazon.com/Intermatic-T101R-120-Volt-Mechanical-Outdoor/dp/B000BVZB3E

You need to make sure the pump is GFCI protected. So, if the pump is plugged into a GFCI outlet, then you need to add the timer after the outlet or add a GFCI circuit breaker. I am not sure of the code in your area, but in most places an in-ground pool pump is supposed to be hard wired and not plugged in.. If unsure of what you are doing, I suggest that you hire a qualified electrician to get things up to speed.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Sorry.. somehow I missed the giant "It is plugged directly into a 240V outlet"... Pat has given you the right timer... It is on the link I provided, you just have to select it... Jim R.

Welcome, I too am from Fayetteville!

When you get a proper test kit, if you need to add CH, i have a whole bunch that was given to me by a friend, i don't have an unground pool, so i don't need it, it is just taking up space!

Hello John and welcome. A couple follow-ups from the replies above. Please update your signature to show if your pool in an inground plaster or vinyl. Also, since you seem to have a 240 powered pump, I believe the T104 Intermatic timers should work for you. You can check to make sure, but they are quite popular. Nice to have you with us.