Greetings from Chicago

Chi Town

Feb 19, 2019
Chicago
Hello all. Figure I would go ahead and introduce myself and jump in. One can only sit on the sidelines so long.

First, there are some very helpful people on this site, knowledgeable, and if not knowledgeable willing to admit it so their advice can be level set. I truly believe we all have gifts from the Creator above, and on pools, you choose to give it here for free. so THANK YOU for that.

Not currently a pool owner, but looking to make that happen by years end. I have done a number of DIY projects, basement build-out and a 17' Koi pond surrounded by two decks to name a few. I like projects that get me away from the desk and phone and I can work with my hands. With a new (104 years old) home, will be looking to drop that bad boy in myself. Just a few points as they relate to my goals (which there are a few), and not sure if this is where they go, but since it is just an intro, will try and keep it simple:

1. Size matters as I would like to maximize swim & Exercise in the pool. Kids are grown and the village will only allow so much property sq ft to be built on. So, thinking Max on Length and Minimize Width.
  2. Maximize pool season. Read a few good posts here. Don't mind spending a little more on heating, but always with an eye on backup. Also, part of my thinking is with a thinner pool, I may have a better chance of developing a cover for for Nov-March, as a large pool will be difficult for me to pull off.
  3. Block vs Gunite. Will go ahead and get a quote or two for Gunite (as well as trench, etc), to put some of the suggestions on cost to the test.
  4. Would like the pool to be part of an overall backyard garden and not the focal point of the yard. We don't toss a lot of parties and such, so a "pool deck" would be a waist. Looking to add a lot of planters and nice walkways. Of course leveraging lighting, and maybe some creative water works.
  5. Looking to move, rebuild or both the garage. Long-gating (and thinning) it to allow for more space around the pool and allow for plantings, while creating a man cave / pool-house /work room in the back half.
  6. Don't plan on doing the final electrical work or running the gas main out to the back, will for sure, contract that out.
  7. Looking to add "value to my retirement in 10 years" and not value to the home.
So, there will be a ton for me to put together. Have been collecting a ton of pictures with ideas and concepts for the yard, garage and pool. Now, just need to stop the creative side of the head from thinking and get to it.

Will continue to do some of the homework a number of you suggested as to getting started and look forward to sharing, learning and hopefully adding value as well.

Thanks and have a wonderful spring,

Chuck D.

Chuck, you have your work cut-out ahead of you. Planning for a new pool can be a daunting task, but once you get all the details the way you want them, it's fun to watch it unfold. Make sure to focus on the main purpose of the pool (lounging, lap swimming, diving, games, etc) which will help with the overall design. Keep the ideas coming and I'm sure others will reply as well. Welcome to the forum! :wave: