Greenish Yellow Residue on pool floor

Jun 9, 2017
Corrales, NM
My small Intex pool (2800 gallons) has developed a residue that won't filter out. The water is clear but becomes murky when we brush and vacuum the floor. The pump is running 24/7 but the paper filter does not get dirty. After about three days, the water is clear again and the particulate has fallen out of suspension back onto the floor. Any suggestions on how to overcome this problem would be most appreciated.

Patrice Kramm

Hello Patrice and welcome to TFP! :wave: If your pool was a bit larger, ideally we would offer suggestion to "SLAM" (link below) to remove potential algae and vacuum as appropriate to remove that dead algae. In your case however, with a pool under 3K gallons and tiny Intex filter, you might find it better to follow the TFP Pool School - Guide for Seasonal/Temporary Pools page. In smaller pools, it's simply more efficient to dump, scrub, and refill as opposed to a few days of SLAMming the pool. Now if you have a small manual vacuum, you could try to vacuum those particulates, but again, it might clog-up that cartridge filter quicker than you can clean it. It's your call really. Consider the options and let us know if you still have questions about either direction you chose. Nice to have you with us.

Thanks so much for your suggestions. What confuses me is that the paper filter is NOT trapping any of the particulate and neither is the fine mesh bag/filter on the vacuum. All we are accomplishing is stirring up the particulate/algae(?) and making a mess of the water.

If algae can't be filtered, how do you get rid of it?
By performing a "SLAM" (link below). But as I noted above, pools close to 3K gallons aren't always economical to SLAM. It's often just as easy to dump the water, clean, and start over. But if you chose to try a SLAM, you'll also need the proper test kit - either a TF-100 (link below) or Taylor K-2006C. Live algae can't be filtered. Once killed with algae, the dead algae will be filtered.

Thanks so much for your suggestions. What confuses me is that the paper filter is NOT trapping any of the particulate and neither is the fine mesh bag/filter on the vacuum. All we are accomplishing is stirring up the particulate/algae(?) and making a mess of the water.
Put simply, the pump filter cartridge and the vacuum bag have large micron holes (these are not to scale, read the descriptions)

You would have to get a filter bag that is less then 1-5 microns. This is what we got. The 1 micron Size #4 (4 x 14") It's amazing what it catches!! lol We put it over our return, it's not scientific, but does the job =)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You can vacuum to waste by siphon. Just hook up your vacuum hose to the vacuum head and run the other end of the hose into the yard.

Fill the vacuum hose with a garden hose to get it started.

Sounds like Algae. SLAM the pool, but before you do, check your CYA levels.

I will second this. Knowing CYA levels let's you get the right chlorine levels for a slam, and sanitation in general. Mine was 90. Had no idea. At that level, I needed a chlorine level of about 10-12 in order to just maintain. Slamming was way higher. I'm down to 40 now. Chlorine level can be 4-8 for sanitation. My algae is finally clearing up. Just be sure you remove everything from the pool that you can. And scrub it good. Then flip it over and scrub again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.