Silver Supporter
Jun 15, 2022
Ville platte, LA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi - I recently bought a pool that was in bad shape. I have removed solids, vacuumed and scrubbed algae. There is still a small amount of algae that I can see in the pool. I treated with algaecide, stabilizer and shock in the beginning. The only thing I have add now regularly is chlorine tablets. Tests below with the K-2006. I scrubbed yesterday and need to vacuum again. What should I add next?

FC=1
CC=8
pH=7.8
TA=150
CH=140
CYA= Less than 30. The sample never turns cloudy, and I can still see the black dot.

8-2-2022 Resized.jpg

Hey!!! Welcome to TFP!! :wave:

I would add enough Chlorine Stabilizer (CYA) to add 30ppm of CYA to your pool. Put it in a sock in the skimmer or hang in front of a return. Do you have PoolMath? If not, download it, it will help you with what and how much to add. -->PoolMath

To rid your pool of ALGAE, follow this process:

Ask any questions you have, we have a HOARD of people here willing to help!!!

Two things of note.
1) With a CC of 8, you likely will use a large amount of liquid chlorine at the beginning of your SLAM. Just be prepared.
2) Pull that ladder and clean the inside of the tubes. (ask me how I know). LOL

Welcome to the forum --
By large amount of chlorine, PS is implying your water may have ammonia in it, or the algaecide you added was ammonia based. The high CC is from ammonia. So if that reading is correct, you will need a large amount of chlorine to consume that ammonia. Do NOT add any stabilizer until your FC holds.
Read Ammonia - Further Reading

Thanks for the information. I had bought the Assault 73 Shock and Durachlor Stabilizer from the pool store. Where is the best place to buy all of these chemicals? I have a walmart close by and a hardware store that carries outdoor bleach.

Should I order the CYA or shock online?

I scrubbed the ladders, but they are hard to get every crevice. Good idea on pulling them.

Thanks for the information. I had bought the Assault 73 Shock and Durachlor Stabilizer from the pool store. Where is the best place to buy all of these chemicals? I have a walmart close by and a hardware store that carries outdoor bleach.

Should I order the CYA or shock online?

I scrubbed the ladders, but they are hard to get every crevice. Good idea on pulling them.
The Durachlor stabilizer is just fine...that is CYA. To address the Ammonia and Algae (SLAM) use Liquid Chlorine. Bleach is fine too. NO FRAGRANCES, NO GREEN, NO BLUE, NO SPLASHLESS, NO CLOROX, JUST BLEACH.

Assault 73 is Caly Hypo. It contains calcium. I'd reserve that for use at a later date. In addition to chlorine, it adds calcium, which is not necessary in a vinyl pool.

Take the plugs out of the ladders and scrub inside the tubes.

Good to go!

Alright, I started the shock yesterday evening. I added gallons of liquid chlorine in increments of 6, then 3 sets of 2, and finally 3 this morning before work. The last readings before the 3 gallons were added this morning were FC=7 and CC=2

Looks like I'll be buying more liquid chlorine today. I'll get back on it after work.

Last edited:
Reactions: PoolStored
I added a total of 27 gallons of liquid chlorine from walmart the last 2 days. As of this morning, the pool was blue, the FC=15 and CC=1.5. Last night, the FC=29.5 and CC=2.

Again, looks like I'll be buying more liquid chlorine today and I'll get back on it after work.

The method is working!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
(Noobie here so just repeating what I’ve read)

Make sure to validate the OCLT tonight - losing 4ppm overnight, even though your water is clear, suggests you might not quite be done yet. Hidden algae can come back with a vengeance.

Make sure all 3 criteria pass before ending your slam :).

Reactions: Jdevi123
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.