Green water in the pool

rezasaba said:
The nearest I can determine the CC is to the 0.5 how can i get it to 0.1 as the site suggests??

Regardless of the sun or cloud the FC is consummed from the pool water , therfore at what point do I bring my FC levels down to normal level for my type of pool? keep in mind I do not see and sign of algea . given the fact, not all of the chlorine is consumed by algea and some are consumed by other contaminants . Therefore between test one will loose FC

I was told not to bring FC levels down until your numbers from the night before and the morning number hold within 1 ppm. That should show that nothing besides sunlight is consuming your CL. I usually lose about 3-5 ppm during the day (pool in full sun). Took awhile for my number to hold overnight. Even though you may not see the algae, it still could be lurking. I know it's a pain and with FC levels high you can't swim but you also don't want it to come back. My son went swimming for the first time in 3 weeks last night.

I hope this made sense. I'm no expert but I just asked these same questions.

P.S. Have you tested your levels overnight recently?

Yes, she's correct on that. You can lose quite a bit of chlorine during the day to sun, etc., some report up to 50% loss during the sunlight hours.

You can stop shocking when:

your water is clear and sparkly
your cc is .5 or less
your FC holds overnight, losing less than 1ppm.

So if your cc is .5 don't worry about it. If you see that number go up, then you should shock. There WILL come a time when it drops below .5, the longer time passes and you have had no issues, it will eventually come together, but it's not something to worry about or try to correct.

So to know if you can let your FC levels drop into the recommended range for your pool: test the FC/CC AFTER sunset, after you have added any chlorine to the pool, and then test again first thing in the morning (prefereably before sunrise) and compare the two test results. If they are within 1ppm of each other there is no live algae present. So if you reach 15ppm at 9pm and you test 14 or 15 at 8 am, you are good!

Hope this helps?

austinsmom01 said:
rezasaba said:
The nearest I can determine the CC is to the 0.5 how can i get it to 0.1 as the site suggests??

Regardless of the sun or cloud the FC is consummed from the pool water , therfore at what point do I bring my FC levels down to normal level for my type of pool? keep in mind I do not see and sign of algea . given the fact, not all of the chlorine is consumed by algea and some are consumed by other contaminants . Therefore between test one will loose FC

I was told not to bring FC levels down until your numbers from the night before and the morning number hold within 1 ppm. That should show that nothing besides sunlight is consuming your CL. I usually lose about 3-5 ppm during the day (pool in full sun). Took awhile for my number to hold overnight. Even though you may not see the algae, it still could be lurking. I know it's a pain and with FC levels high you can't swim but you also don't want it to come back. My son went swimming for the first time in 3 weeks last night.

I hope this made sense. I'm no expert but I just asked these same questions.

P.S. Have you tested your levels overnight recently?
Thanx for the info , I do test it at night and then in the morning , my FC was around 5 and there the CC = 0 the water is clear. I have not added any bleach and my chlorinator is closed . i will check again on Tues . morning and see what the #s are my PH is a bit low I think 7.2 so not sure if i should bring it up to 7.5 or not ??

frustratedpoolmom said:
Yes, she's correct on that. You can lose quite a bit of chlorine during the day to sun, etc., some report up to 50% loss during the sunlight hours.

You can stop shocking when:

your water is clear and sparkly
your cc is .5 or less
your FC holds overnight, losing less than 1ppm.

So if your cc is .5 don't worry about it. If you see that number go up, then you should shock. There WILL come a time when it drops below .5, the longer time passes and you have had no issues, it will eventually come together, but it's not something to worry about or try to correct.

So to know if you can let your FC levels drop into the recommended range for your pool: test the FC/CC AFTER sunset, after you have added any chlorine to the pool, and then test again first thing in the morning (prefereably before sunrise) and compare the two test results. If they are within 1ppm of each other there is no live algae present. So if you reach 15ppm at 9pm and you test 14 or 15 at 8 am, you are good!

Hope this helps?
Hi Frustratedmom , the pool is crystal clear and there are no sighn of metal stains on the pool surface , i think this is due to me not using products that contain copper, such as algesides and clarifiers. ??
the other thing is my FC was at 5 and i can detect only 0.5 CC in the water what do i do now .
I have not added any bleach and as you suggested , i closed my chlorinator . I like to bring up my PH from 7.2 to highr # maybe 7.5 ?? what do ya think about that?
also my pump has been running 24/7 for 3 weeks now i like to run it for only 10-12 hours / day $$$$ elesctric bill is going to be high this month :hammer:
what do you suggest?
should i go back to Chlorine tablets 3" pucks ,?
my pool has no stain, all the metal stains are gone ... it is so clean and clear thanx to you guys and gals .... i am afraid ,if i go back to it, (pucks) the stains will come back this is the first time my pool is this clear without using those BLUE clarifiers . i actually have full bottle it cost $14 per bottle but i hope i do not have to use it again . i feel i need more help now than before :rant: :hammer:
should i just stay with bleach if so how much should i add to the pool and how often ?
oooh no answer yet here are some #s from this morning my FC was 9 and the CC= 0.5 last nigh added 174 oz. of bleach so that much based on the pool cal. brought it up to about 9ppm so results this morning showes a loss of 1 ppm and cc of 0.5 ,,therefore the chrlorine loss is negligable . the pool is the clearest, i can see a Dime 6 ' deep maybe i post another picture ,

I love using bleach for chlorination. Usually I don't have to add any acid to the pool, and never have to raise the Ph. I just take the jug of liquid chlorine out with me every evening when I test the pool water, and it takes just about a minute to add the chlorine. I have a pool that's a little less than 10000 gallons and usually add 2 cups 6 percent bleach or 1 cup 10 percent liquid chlorine, with a pool that's got a CYA of about 40 and is in the sun most of the day, to give you a rough idea. Of course, you will have to use the pool calculator to get the correct amount, or if your test kit came with a guess chart, like the Taylor kit, you can get a pretty good idea from that.

If you are done shocking, you should be able to reduce your pump/filter time back to the 10 to 12 hrs, if that is what you were using before.

You are done shocking when you meet these three criteria: (ChemGeek's criteria)

1. Your water is sparkling
2. CC's test .5ppm or less
3. You pool will hold FC overnite not losing more than 1.0ppm

Then just let your FC drift down into maintenance range and keep it there.........you'll have a beautiful pool all summer.

You can just add bleach each evening (as many of us do). If you will post your CYA # we'll help you calculate/confirm the amount for dosing.

rezasaba said:
Hi Frustratedmom , the pool is crystal clear and there are no sighn of metal stains on the pool surface , i think this is due to me not using products that contain copper, such as algesides and clarifiers. ??
the other thing is my FC was at 5 and i can detect only 0.5 CC in the water what do i do now .
I have not added any bleach and as you suggested , i closed my chlorinator . I like to bring up my PH from 7.2 to highr # maybe 7.5 ?? what do ya think about that?
also my pump has been running 24/7 for 3 weeks now i like to run it for only 10-12 hours / day $$$$ elesctric bill is going to be high this month :hammer:
what do you suggest?
my pool has no stain, all the metal stains are gone ... it is so clean and clear thanx to you guys and gals .... i am afraid ,if i go back to it, (pucks) the stains will come back this is the first time my pool is this clear without using those BLUE clarifiers . i actually have full bottle it cost $14 per bottle but i hope i do not have to use it again . i feel i need more help now than before :rant: :hammer:
should i just stay with bleach if so how much should i add to the pool and how often ?
oooh no answer yet here are some #s from this morning my FC was 9 and the CC= 0.5 last nigh added 174 oz. of bleach so that much based on the pool cal. brought it up to about 9ppm so results this morning showes a loss of 1 ppm and cc of 0.5 ,,therefore the chrlorine loss is negligable . the pool is the clearest, i can see a Dime 6 ' deep maybe i post another picture ,

Hi all, back from Michigan....sorry late to respond.... :wink:

I agree with Joyce's good advice.... :goodjob:

let your FC drop down to your "target level" which is according to your CYA amount....I don't recall what yours is currently. So either post it or look up your target on the CYA chlorine chart.

So each night you test your chlorine, you use the pool calculator to figure out how much chlorine you need. Enter your pool gallons at the top, and in the FC column, enter in your test result into the "now" column, and enter in your target level in the "goal" column and hit calculate, and the pool calc will tell you how much chlorine to add. It could be a little or it could be alot. Eventually you'll get in the habit of knowing about how much chlorine to add each day, 1 cup or 3 cups, whatever, you'll get into a routine and just "know", but it's always a good idea to do the quick OTO test to make sure your not too low. REmember, never let your FC go below the "minimum" target. Also, if you do see a hint of stains, add a maintenance dose of sequesterant for the metals, just in case. And no, don't go back to using the chlorinator unless you need it for vacation or something. IF you want to raise your ph, that's fine, just be careful with the dosing, cause you don't want to go too high. Use the pool calculator the same way to figure out how much chems to raise your ph. Go slow, read the directions carefully and if your unsure post here.

jjparrish said:
If you are done shocking, you should be able to reduce your pump/filter time back to the 10 to 12 hrs, if that is what you were using before.

You are done shocking when you meet these three criteria: (ChemGeek's criteria)

1. Your water is sparkling
2. CC's test .5ppm or less
3. You pool will hold FC overnite not losing more than 1.0ppm

Then just let your FC drift down into maintenance range and keep it there.........you'll have a beautiful pool all summer.

You can just add bleach each evening (as many of us do). If you will post your CYA # we'll help you calculate/confirm the amount for dosing.
Hi joyce i have met the 3 criteria you mentioned my CYA = 30 -50 . 174 oz. of bleach brings up my ppm by 4.5 points for the next few days i like to see how much chlorine i loose to sun light i think I am loosing about 4 ppm . I also added 4 lbs of Borax to bring my PH from 7.2 to 7.6 or so .. thank you for the help.

frustratedpoolmom said:
rezasaba said:
what do you suggest?

Hi all, back from Michigan....sorry late to respond.... :wink:

I agree with Joyce's good advice.... :goodjob:

let your FC drop down to your "target level" which is according to your CYA amount....I don't recall what yours is currently. So either post it or look up your target on the CYA chlorine chart.

So each night you test your chlorine, you use the pool calculator to figure out how much chlorine you need. Enter your pool gallons at the top, and in the FC column, enter in your test result into the "now" column, and enter in your target level in the "goal" column and hit calculate, and the pool calc will tell you how much chlorine to add. It could be a little or it could be alot. Eventually you'll get in the habit of knowing about how much chlorine to add each day, 1 cup or 3 cups, whatever, you'll get into a routine and just "know", but it's always a good idea to do the quick OTO test to make sure your not too low. REmember, never let your FC go below the "minimum" target. Also, if you do see a hint of stains, add a maintenance dose of sequesterant for the metals, just in case. And no, don't go back to using the chlorinator unless you need it for vacation or something. IF you want to raise your ph, that's fine, just be careful with the dosing, cause you don't want to go too high. Use the pool calculator the same way to figure out how much chems to raise your ph. Go slow, read the directions carefully and if your unsure post here.
Hi , you went to Michigan ??? without our permission !!! dont let that happen again :mrgreen: LOL :mrgreen: "sequesterant for the metals" what is that? i have used citric acid or Vitamin 'c'
to get the stains out but they always come back. I added 4 lbs of Borax tonight , the chlorine was around 5ppm that is normal for my pool based on my CYA # .
the other thing I like to do is the Borax treatment i was reading about on this site to make the water silky and also prevent algea . what do you think about that. Thanx again

rezasaba said:
"sequesterant for the metals" what is that? i have used citric acid or Vitamin 'c'
to get the stains out but they always come back.

AA removes the stains, but the metals are still around and can cause stains again. Sequestrant binds to the metals in the water and prevents them from forming stains.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
rezasaba said:
Hi , you went to Michigan ??? without our permission !!! dont let that happen again :mrgreen: LOL :mrgreen: "sequesterant for the metals" what is that? i have used citric acid or Vitamin 'c'
to get the stains out but they always come back. I added 4 lbs of Borax tonight , the chlorine was around 5ppm that is normal for my pool based on my CYA # .
the other thing I like to do is the Borax treatment i was reading about on this site to make the water silky and also prevent algea . what do you think about that. Thanx again

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Sorry hehehehehe :oops:

Yes, what Jason said. :goodjob: The sequesterant will just help prevent the stains from reappearing.

Keep in mind that maintaining your PH at the lower end of the recommended range also helps prevent staining, specifically in fiberglass pools. So I know you like the Borax idea, but just keep an eye on your PH and honestly I would keep your ph at 7.4..... so if you added Borax or plan to add more Borax for the "borates" concept, be sure to have your muratic acid or dry acid ready to keep the PH at 7.4.
I've never done the Borax thing myself so I can't help you with any advice on it.

About your Chlorine, yes, 5 ppm is right for your CYA. You can keep it between 4-8 ppm safely, but don't ever let it drop below 4 or the algae could come back. :goodjob: :goodjob:

frustratedpoolmom said:
rezasaba said:

Sorry hehehehehe :oops:

Yes, what Jason said. :goodjob: The sequesterant will just help prevent the stains from reappearing.

Keep in mind that maintaining your PH at the lower end of the recommended range also helps prevent staining, specifically in fiberglass pools. So I know you like the Borax idea, but just keep an eye on your PH and honestly I would keep your ph at 7.4..... so if you added Borax or plan to add more Borax for the "borates" concept, be sure to have your muratic acid or dry acid ready to keep the PH at 7.4.
I've never done the Borax thing myself so I can't help you with any advice on it.

About your Chlorine, yes, 5 ppm is right for your CYA. You can keep it between 4-8 ppm safely, but don't ever let it drop below 4 or the algae could come back. :goodjob: :goodjob:
HI again where do i get the Sequestrant and how do i introduce it to the pool ?
I checked my CYA this morning and it was around 55 ppm . My PH is around 7.5 + or - ,, today I set my pump to run for 12 hours during the day $$$$ save electricity , I am,still thinking about utilizing my chlorinator and using the 3" pucks again , i am loosing 3 to 4 PPM chlorine to sunlight ,I think ? not sure!!!!!! :?
anyway the water was very clear today I just can not believe , it was dark green last week this time LOL :shock: I think i will hold off on the Borax treatment for now .

rezasaba said:
HI again where do i get the Sequestrant and how do i introduce it to the pool ?
I checked my CYA this morning and it was around 55 ppm . My PH is around 7.5 + or - ,, today I set my pump to run for 12 hours during the day $$$$ save electricity , I am,still thinking about utilizing my chlorinator and using the 3" pucks again , i am loosing 3 to 4 PPM chlorine to sunlight ,I think ? not sure!!!!!! :?
anyway the water was very clear today I just can not believe , it was dark green last week this time LOL :shock: I think i will hold off on the Borax treatment for now .

Hi there! Saving money is ideal! That's why you should stick with bleach, it's cheaper than the pucks that go in the chlorinator.... :wink: :wink: and it won't add CYA to your pool or lower your PH and cause other problems. It's okay to use the chlorinator if you are going away on vacation or something, but I would not use it for routine chlorination.

The best way to see if it's just sunlight causing the chlorine loss is test your FC before bed and first thing in the morning and if it holds you know it's from the sun. Each night you can add enough chlorine to reach your "target" which for a CYA of 50-60 is about 5-7ppm. Don't let it go below 4ppm or the algae could take hold again. Many people report a 50% FC Loss from the sun, even with 50ppm CYA. Especially in pools that are in full sun and are not covered. So I suspect yours is normal, but just to be sure do the overnight FC test. if you lose more than 1ppm overnight in the darkness, then you still have algae lurking and need to shock again.

Sequesterant -
http://www.jacksmagic.com/page.cfm?id=372

I think you want the "pink stuff" or the "Blue stuff"....

Hope this helps!

Hi :wave: I for sure loosing the chlorine due to sunlight , i have done what you suggested for the past 4 nights my CC is also 0.5 so i guess will stay with bleach i will get the stuf majic jack.
oh ya what is best way to clean the ring around the tub in the pool. Thanx for the help.

Try a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser sponge. Test in an unseen area first if possible to make sure it doesn't hurt the finish...I saw another post about fiberglass pool stain and the recommendation was the magic eraser. I used it on my vinyl liner at the water line and it worked great. No chems needed.

I saw another post you can use a bit of baking soda as a paste but I don't know if that will work as well?

You were up late :wink:

frustratedpoolmom said:
Try a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser sponge. Test in an unseen area first if possible to make sure it doesn't hurt the finish...I saw another post about fiberglass pool stain and the recommendation was the magic eraser. I used it on my vinyl liner at the water line and it worked great. No chems needed.

I saw another post you can use a bit of baking soda as a paste but I don't know if that will work as well?

Hi again , I tested the water last night and the PH was down to 6.8 to 7.0 not sure why it droped so I added 4 LBS of Borax and it came up to 7.6 I have been using the 3" chlorine pucks in the chlorinator maybe that is the resaon. any thoughts ??? water is a bid hazy but still blue .

rezasaba said:
frustratedpoolmom said:

Hi again , I tested the water last night and the PH was down to 6.8 to 7.0 not sure why it droped so I added 4 LBS of Borax and it came up to 7.6 I have been using the 3" chlorine pucks in the chlorinator maybe that is the resaon. any thoughts ??? water is a bid hazy but still blue .

Pucks are acidic. They bring down your Ph. So even though it seems like it is saving you work to use the chlorinator, it really isn't, because you have to keep adjusting your PH. Not to mention you will eventually get your CYA so high you will have to go through all the work of water replacement....

My Friend, here's what I told you a week ago.....

frustratedpoolmom said:
It's okay to use the chlorinator if you are going away on vacation or something, but I would not use it for routine chlorination.

So tsk tsk tsk :whip: ... I know it seems "easier" to use the pucks, but in the end the lowering of the PH and dealing with rising CYA will creat more problems AND more work.

You will much happier if you stick with bleach, and only use the chlorinator if you are going on vacation or something, and understand that your PH and CYA will need to be monitored if you do.

You can deal with this situation fairly simply by turning off the chlorinator and raising your PH. Run a complete set of tests and post them here, especially CYA. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.