Green water but not algae????

May 29, 2019
CA, Bay Area
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
HELP—- I have a weird situation where on opening this year, my pool water is green——but I don’t think its Algae!! What else could it be??? I’m desperate! Thank you for any any in advance.

I’ve had the chlorine level over 10 for several days, and the pool doesn’t look any better. I took the water to the pool store— they said there is no copper or iron in the water.

PH: 7.4
Cya 20
FC 14 — overnight 12.5

I read the overnight chlorine test “rules” — and I sort of think there was no loss. It seems like a small change in how much you fill the litter dipper would make a difference.

Any help would be appreciated.

David NJ

Attachments

• B8FC06FF-341C-40D1-8270-A290B9617236.jpeg
    B8FC06FF-341C-40D1-8270-A290B9617236.jpeg
    577.5 KB · Views: 26
A dipper full will do it. Sometimes doesnt all dissolve, sometimes it does. Not super critical.

Not sure what "kind of passed" means?

For starters pic looks greenish, so can't pass 1st part of test.

Thanks. What should I do next? (please pretend I don't know what I'm doing--its mostly accurate )
I did the FAS DPD test last night, 10ml, used 28 drops. This morning I did it again, and used 25 drops.
Does this mean I have algae?

Welcome to the forum!
You say you have had FC above 10 for several days. Are you testing FC and adding liquid chlorine to raise it back to that level every few hours?
I would suggest adding 10 ppm CYA using the sock method. Use a FC of 12 ppm. Test and add liquid chlorine every few hours. Pump should be left on 24/7 and filter cleaned when filter pressure rises 25% above clean pressure.

Read SLAM Process.

I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

Thanks for the help so far. I added a total of 5.4 FC yesterday; it was a sunny day.

Its still just as green.

1. How many FCs of chlorine should a pool this green be consuming overnight? My overnight chlorine test went from 15 (30 drops) to 13.5 (27 drops). (I realize i’m testing while its still green—but i’m panicking because its not getting better)

2. How many more days before its clear?

Difficult if not impossible to put a number of days. Each Pool can be unique depending on where lurking algae can hide; steps, corners, lights etc. Also depends on environment; pollen, dust etc. Contributing to organics. Last but not least is diligence keeping FC at or above slam, brushing, etc. Good luck on your mission and stay the course!

Stole from another member...
Lion King (Clear Water in Future).JPG

@David NJ , please tell us how often you are checking FC levels. Also how much chlorine are you adding each day and what percent liquid chlorine are you using? Taking a picture of the same spot of the pool each day can help you see if there is any changes day to day. You are running the pump/filter 24/7 correct? Brushing daily? Do you have good flow from the returns back into the pool?

Each day, a clean pool can use 2-4ppm of FC just because it was sunny out.

I really appreciate the help—- I have nowhere else to turn. So thank you so far. But it can’t be algae! Today, a partly sunny day 70’s —- pool went from 13.5 FC to 11.5 in 10 hours. And last night— it “consumed” 1.5 FC. Thats 3.5 FC for 24 hours. See how green it is— wouldn’t it be ripping through the chlorine??????

Please help!

Teald024— i’m checking FC levels twice a day. But as above—it really isn’t consuming the chlorine. Its been above 10FC for 6 days. The pump has great flow—i can see it ripple on the surface. Backwashing never works that great— so I end up having to break down the Quad DE filter, which i’ve done several times as pressure rises (from 14 to high 20s over several days). Lastly, I’ve been adding powered calcium shock since my CH is 170 and I want it around 250 or so.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It can take several days to two weeks to get the pool cleared up, as long as you wind up with a clear pool and you keep the chemical levels where they should be, there is no reason to panic or worry. Just stay the course, you'll get there.

I assume, although you don't say it, your using a TF-100 kit.

Have you done a full suite of the tests? If you have, can you post the results? If not, can you perform the full range of tests and provide the results?

If your keeping your FC levels at or above SHOCK level for your given amount of CYA, and the pool pump is running and filtering the water.... you should see the water begin to clear or show signs of improvement after a while. I wouldn't get wound up if it's not happening in the first day or two. If it's been a week or two and no visual improvement, then I might start to become more concerned.

Keeping that pump going 24/7 and keeping that free chlorine level steadily above shock levels are the key. Also try brushing the bottom of the pool and the pool walls daily and try to remove as much debris as possible with a skimmer net.

Not necessarily.

The thing to fixate on is passing the OCLT. You want to have the pool lose basically no chlorine over night. You expect that even a healthy pool is losing chlorine during the day. But a healthy pool shouldn't use much if any chlorine over night.

I have only had to fight an algae battle with my pool once, and it was a realtively easily fight. I just kept it filtering and loaded up on chlorine. In about 7 days it was getting pretty clear. Truth be told I didn't even officially perform the SLAM testing. I just kept checking the chlorine twice a day and kept the pool at shock levels a good two or three days past when it "got clear". So I basically did a "rough and dirty" SLAM without the offical OCLT. My pool responsed well, and I didn't want to get up at 6 AM to test the pool before the sun came out. Since the pool responded well, I was able to call it good enough testing it a few hours after the sun came out. Had I NOT had such an easy time fighting the pool back to clear, I'd have tried harder to test the chlorine levels much sooner to daylight. It helps you know what your pool is doing when it's dark out. It's an important part of the process. I only "roughed it" because my pool cleaned up nicely just keeping a steady shock level.

Time and chlorine will solve your problems :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.