k-land

Jul 29, 2020
indiana
I bought the "green murder" Green to Clean to kill the green algae. I followed the shock instructions. This is the second time ive used this product with success. Reading around here, i will try the SLAM method next time.
What i have now is the white cloud. I feel like the algae is dead, and these particles are their ghosts. Leslie's will sell me the Clear Aid product. I had some left over from two years ago (the last time this happened), so i used that yesterday morning. no visible improvement this morning.

My numbers are balanced. I use a cartridge filter on an 18500 gal above ground with a two speed pump that i leave running 24 7 (i dont have a timer - some day). The pressure on high isnt pumping hard but it is circulating. This is my third year on this filter and probably my last before replacement unless there is a different opinion here.

Here are my questions:
Do i use something like clear aid to clear the dead algae through my filter and then scrub my filter once the pool is blue again, or will it clear it over time (how long)?
Can we swim with cloudy white pool with 2-4 chlorine- yes i know not seeing someone under water is a danger?
How often should i change my cartridge filter and are they really $150 - mine is about 6 inches by about 3 ft.?

Welcome to the forum!
You need to follow the SLAM Process. To do that, you need a proper test kit. I suggest the TF-100 A proper test kit is needed to get the accurate water chemistry results needed to follow the TFP protocols.

While you are waiting on your test kit, add 5 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine / plain bleach to your pool each evening with the pump running. This will replenish the FC lost each day to the sun and also inhibit any algae in the water from growing further.
Do not use any clarifier or flocs. You simply need to follow the SLAM Process

You can safely swim in a pool as long as the FC is above the minimum and at or below SLAM level based on your CYA. You must also be able to see the bottom of the pool in the deep end of the pool.

Clean your filter when your filter pressure rises by 25% over clean pressure. Properly cared for filter cartridges should last for many years. Mine are 6 years old right now and fine. Mine operate year-round.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Welcome! :wave:

Green to Clean is ammonium sulfate. SDS While it may work as an algaecide, the ammonia part of it will react with chlorine and use it up. And create a chlorine demand above the normal. So while you're trying to chlorinate, it's disappearing, which can lead to another algae bloom. It's great for the pool store, not so good for you. And I don't know enough chemistry to know under what conditions the sulfur part will smell, but I know I wouldn't want to find out. So don't use that anymore.

Also don't use the clarifier. It tends to stick things together and it would be very bad if it stuck stuff to the filter.

What we do for algae and cloudy pools is the SLAM Process It's what you're going to see referenced over and over here. If you want to do something different, don't expect much support. We just don't have a lot of collective experience or success with anything else.

Cartridge life, I have no clue. I have a DE filter. Someone else will have to advise on that.

Swimming: three rules
1) pH between 7.2 and 8.0
2) Adequate chlorine for the CYA level. FC/CYA Levels
3) Able to see the floor of the pool.

Nobody here is going to tell you it's okay to swim in murky water "just this once." The huge maturity of TFPers are now so snobbish about clear water that we won't get in if it's not crystalline. Even "dull" but clear isn't good enough.

Reactions: Momma4
Thank you for the info. The pool cleared mostly last night. I vacuumed the sediment and will probably have to do it again. I will get one of those test kits and look into liquid bleach or chlorine. Reading around on here it seems like I will be going through a lot of liquid chlorine or maybe I'm wrong. I know the variables but about how much liquid bleach are people using on a weekly basis on average?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.