Green swamp now clear, but new algae stains from winter remain :-(

May 29, 2017
York, Maine
I just got my test kit yesterday, I am no longer blind!

I am at the near end point of SLAMing my pool and staining still exists over 1/2 the pool surface. The water is now crystal clear and I can see the plaster perfectly clear, including the 12' deep end. The staining is a brownish/tan stain that I believe is consistent with the location of the major (light green) algae that is now gone. The stains were not there last year. The pool was opened later this year than normal, and as a result, the pool was a "true swamp" (first time this bad). Couldn't see 6". Used this site to navigate the swamp (thank you!!!)...

For the remaining problem of the brown stains on the white plaster....I performed two tests:

1. Crushed 15 Vitamin C tablets and put in sock. Pressed and scrubbed 2" square area on step about 15" underwater for about 5 min. No effect.

2. Rubbed a triclor 3" tab no effect; let the same tab sit for 2 hrs....no effect. Let the same tab sit for 12 hrs overnight, stain gone underneath tab!!! It is a 3" white circle! (I read somewhere that long term application of tricor tabs like this might do the same for non-organic stains, as the the Triclor tabs are slightly acidic...so I am not 100% sure I am dealing with an organic stain. But it is my current assumption.

Also, the plaster seems rough like sandpaper (I would guess Medium grade sandpaper). Maybe that is normal. Maybe it is etched. The brown stain is at the lower parts between the bumps.

My current chemistry:
FC 16 ( Slam Target 16)
PH (before slam) 7.2 (normally is in the 7.8 range, but I lowered w/ M.A. before slam)
TA 110
CYA 40
CH 275

I brush 2x per day on the weekend.

Tonight I will do a OCLT to confirm completion of the SLAM and post results tomorrow.

A few questions

Is there something I should do to remove the stains (like raise the FC higher than 16?). Or will they just fade over time?
What does the 12 hr triclor test mean (resulting in no stain, just white plaster under it)?
I will try to post pics.

Hi, welcome to TFP! Those are tanin stains and will fade over time. The rough plaster maybe some scale formation. Keep the pH around 7.2 after the slam and don't add any calcium.

IMG_4807-1.JPG

Enclosed is a photo of the test result referenced above. This is a stair/shelf in the deep end about 15" deep. The 3" puck was placed at the 2:00 position on the left most square. It is now white. The Vit C test was done at the 3:00 position of middle square. No change.

The OCLT did not pass.
Last night: 15 FC
This A.M. 12 hrs later. (tested 3 times to make sure I have consistency)
13.5 FC and 0.5 CC
13.0 FC and 0.5 CC
13.5 FC and 0.5 CC

Then re- adjusted to 16 ppm this a.m. and will readjust again tonight before another OCLT test.

Still not sure where to go with FC target to address the staining after completing the SLAM. Back to "normal" or maintain elevated FC?

First, you must ignore the stains and complete the SLAM. Think of them as not being connected.

Once your SLAM is complete and you have the water chemistry under control, then work on the stains.

It sounds like you have some calcium scale with organic stains embedded but, again, complete your SLAM first.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.