Green Pool

Amy Wick

Jun 17, 2021
Goldthwaite, TX
I have a above ground pool that is 24 foot round across, We opened it for the summer filled it, which it was half full during the winter and covered. Got it almost blue then my pump motor went out, its hot here is Texas so I know that is always a issue but the pool turned back to green waiting on the new motor, now I have it going again and the water just will not clear up. My PH and Alkaline are high , the chlorine will not read even after 12 bags of shcok, 12 tablets in the filers. Last night I added 1/2 gallon of muratic acid and 2 more bags of shock, hoping this morning the pool would be blue, its not. Before the acid I added 1/2 qt of algicide 60, can you give me your thoughts. Everyone says just get it in now and vacumme the bottom? We have been in the pool and bushed the bottom and been back filtering the sand pump like 3 times a day, hoping for a chlodine quick fix but havent found it. Also along the way I did also add 4 gallons of over the counter laundry bleach hoping to save money on chloine, would that cause any of this. We are on a well, and there is no one around here to test water. Could you please give a any tips. Going to send my husband to home depot today to get 4 gallons of Pool liquid chlorine????? I do believe the pool is like 15,0000 gallons.

Welcome to the forum!
You need to follow the SLAM Process. To do that, you need a proper test kit. I suggest the TF-100 A proper test kit is needed to get the accurate water chemistry results needed to follow the TFP protocols.

While you are waiting on your test kit, add 5 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine / plain bleach to your pool each evening with the pump running. This will replenish the FC lost each day to the sun and also inhibit any algae in the water from growing further.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry

We can get you to a sparkling clear pool. It is going to take some time - it didn't turn green in a day and it won't turn back in a day.

The first thing you need to do is stop causing more problems. Take the tablets out of the skimmers. Do not add anything to the pool except the chlorine (should be about 10 cups a day of pool chlorine) every day until you get your test kit in hand.

How are you testing pH? If it's as high as you say, it's probably actually higher. When pH is off the scale, it just reads as being at the top of the scale.

Once you get your test kit, you will need to SLAM. That will require much more than 4 gallons of chlorine. 10-20 gallons is a good place to start.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.