Green Pool

Aug 26, 2018
Huntsville, AL
We have a 35,000ish gallon in ground, liner pool in North Alabama.
The sand was changed last season.
The pump runs 24/7
The pool has been green for about 2 weeks after a rain storm.
The pool store says our chemicals are perfect.
Free Chlorine: 1.89
Total Chlorine: 2.06
Combined Chl: .17
pH Level: 8.1
Total Alkalinity (input): 124
Total Alkalinity (Adjusted 109
Calcium Hardness 162
Cyanuric Acid/Stabilizer: 45
Saturation Index .8

He have put in since the problem began - spread out over the 2 weeks...
35lb of Alkalinity+
7lbs pH-
6 bags of turbo shock
1 qt. Banish
1 qt Super Flock

Thank you guys for any help you can offer

Welcome to the forum! :handshake:

This forum advocate’s pool owner water testing using a proper test kit. Order a TF100 test kit. It is properly sized for the residential pool owner.

The only other real option for a test kit is a Taylor K-2006-C. Be careful comparing prices because the K-2006 comes in sizes, designated by a letter. The basic K-2006 has .75oz bottles. You need to get the K-2006-C to get the larger bottles that you want.

I also have the SpeedStir. It makes testing much easier.

While you are waiting on your test kit add liquid chlorine/bleach to put 5 ppm FC into your pool each evening.

Let us know when you get your test kit and post up the results.

I suggest you read Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Trouble Free Pool School book.

- - - Updated - - -

Please add a signature. Read Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post

Information in your signature will show up each time you post and it makes advice more accurate as we know what equipment we are dealing with.

We have a 35,000ish gallon in ground, liner pool in North Alabama.
The sand was changed last season.
The pump runs 24/7
The pool has been green for about 2 weeks after a rain storm.
The pool store says our chemicals are perfect.
Free Chlorine: 1.89
Total Chlorine: 2.06
Combined Chl: .17
pH Level: 8.1
Total Alkalinity (input): 124
Total Alkalinity (Adjusted 109
Calcium Hardness 162
Cyanuric Acid/Stabilizer: 45
Saturation Index .8

He have put in since the problem began - spread out over the 2 weeks...
35lb of Alkalinity+
7lbs pH-
6 bags of turbo shock
1 qt. Banish
1 qt Super Flock

Thank you guys for any help you can offer

Sack that pool store.

Wow. Those numbers, if even accurate, are quite off from what we suggest. And you've probably spent more than my total pool costs for the year (aprox $100) buying all those potions! I hate seeing that. :(

Pool stores are in the business of making money.

Please review PoolSchool, here is one chart in Pool School showing our recommended levels - Pool School - Recommended Levels

We do NOT advocate for the use of pool store chemicals. Why? We can get everything we need from either the grocery store or the hardware store.
See here--> Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Here's a short list of some things we do NOT want added to pools--> Pool School - Non-Recommended Pool Chemicals

But everything we do is based on trusted testing. If you don't have a good test kit you're floundering blind. There are just two we trust- the TF-100, or the K-2006C.
Here is where most of us get one or the other- TFTestkits.net or Amazon.
The TF-100 is a better buy IMO, its the one I have.

Take a look at Pool School. Decide on a test kit and we're happy to help you get started here. Until you get your kit, just add a gallon of plain, unscented, non-thickened, non-Clorox brand bleach to your pool and brush daily. It will slow down some of the green until your kit arrives.

Maddie :flower:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.