Green Pool, stumped.

Jun 5, 2016
Whiting, Iowa
My pool is emerald green and has been for over a week, near the start of it I had posted about my excessively high pH/TA and have since remedied that issue, my FC had fallen to around a 3-5 for a few days and my CYA was between 40-50, I started a SLAM and held 18ppm with no change, thinking maybe CYA was possibly the culprit (it was last year) so I drained 1/3 of the pool and refilled with new water. The pool was clearer but still green, I started the SLAM again 2 days ago at 18ppm and now a CYA showing 35ppm and still no change, I started the SLAM with a pH of 7.3 and TA of 180. Just feel like I’m spinning my tires...

Also, I changed out the sand last month because I knew it hadn’t been done since I moved in in 2014.

Attachments

• A8921E6C-A2ED-4756-8C5E-CD9CD78FC5CE.jpg
    A8921E6C-A2ED-4756-8C5E-CD9CD78FC5CE.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 64
  • 0AEB2836-BAA0-4665-8514-6D735A4222F6.jpg
    0AEB2836-BAA0-4665-8514-6D735A4222F6.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 59
That is cloudy green so algae would be the most likely subject.

You stated you did the SLAM Process process. How long did you maintain your SLAM level FC? Why did you stop if you did not meet the three criteria for a successful SLAM as described in the linked article?

Do you have a history of metals in your water?

Yes metals are common from this well, I haven’t stopped the SLAM, 2 days in now at 18ppm, I stopped the first round of it 5 days ago to drain and refill worrying high CYA could be the culprit and a SLAM would only be a short term fix. After refilling (Sunday morning) I started a SLAM from 3 FC and 30-40 CYA and got it up to 18ppm by the next morning, Momday evening it was 15ppm so I added a gallon of 6% bleach and was back at 18ppm this morning

If this was iron at high chlorine levels they tend to turn brown not green.

Any use of copper products in the past? Heater not shown in your signature?

- - - Updated - - -

Are you brushing daily and running the pump 24/7?

No heater, and I have used a liquid magnet product before for metals but it was usually more of a dingy brown and very teal looking water, this is just strange because I can see my liner easily up to 6 feet like it’s clear water just dyed green

- - - Updated - - -

Is there anything that can throw off CYA testing?

No I haven’t used copper algicides, the metals product I’ve used in the past was bioguard pool magnet plus

- - - Updated - - -

If it means anything, I live in a small town surrounded by corn fields, they fog every Tuesday for mosquitos and farmers are spraying periodically, two neighbors have above ground pools with no issues though.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.