Green pool questions about SLAM

Lower the pH to 7.2. Assume it is 8 and target 7.2. Add acid and circulate for 30 minutes and brush. Test pH and TA again. Then follow SLAM Process

You put 60 ppm CYA in the water. It is there. As I said earlier, it is either a testing issue or it was not CYA. And you confirm it was CYA you added.

Great job on testing.
Get 30 ppm worth of CYA dissolving using the sock method.
I would not touch pH right now. Just start the SLAM Process.
Once you get the CYA dissolving, add liquid chlorine to get to 12 ppm FC and maintain it there several times per day.
From now on, use a 10ml sample for FC testing. One scoop of powder, each drop of reagent to clear is 0.5 ppm FC.

Just test FC during the SLAM.

Question about the 10ml testing. You wrote one scoop of powder for the 10ml test. Is that the same for the Taylor K2006? The instructions on the my Taylor kit just says 2 scoops. I always use the 10ml test and 2 scoops. Have I been doing it wrong for the last several years?:oops:

I started SLAMing on previous Sat night (06/06) and I've been on it ever since. The water is very clear now, CC is 0.5, yesterday's overnight FC loss was 1.5 so I am getting very close. I've used an insane amount of liquid chlorine.

CYA though is still my concern as it's nowhere to be found. The day time FC loss is quite large: today, from 8:30AM to 12:30PM it went from 24ppm to 17ppm, and from 12:30 to 7:30 it changed from 24ppm to 16ppm. Is the daytime loss that large normal?

You will lose FC during the day, and it will be more than if your FC was in the target range instead of SLAM level.

If you test CYA again and get low or 0, add some more. I would start with 30 ppm worth. It is very odd the other never showed up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I see about FC and CYA. Thanks.

I'll find liquid CYA this time, no more messing with sock method - it takes days to dissolve.

Oh, I found a small amount of CYA in a sock, is there a way to test if it's CYA? You were asking before if I had any left.

Sure. Dissolve some of it, do the CYA test. It should get really cloudy as it will be sky high ppm.

Here comes my CYA - I've poured 3 gallons of Instant Conditioner by Natural Chemistry and I can still see the dot at 30ppm but barely.
I am going to add another half a gallon, maybe more, tomorrow as my ideal level is 40-50.

Last edited:
I believe my SLAM is over: FC fell for 0.5 over night, CC is undetectable, water is clear.

FC is 13.5.
CYA is 30.
pH is 7.4 (increased a bit from 7.2 that I had in the beginning of SLAM).
TA is 50.

TA looks a bit low, should I raise it? The PoolMath says to add 6.8 oz by volume of baking soda.

Is pH Ok?

Then what, I should just wait a couple of days till FC drops to 5 and I can start using my pool?

I would not mess with TA right now. You will want to add 10 ppm of CYA so watch your pH when you do that.

I suspect your FC will be at 12 ppm or below by this afternoon, and then go swimming.

CYA at about 40 now, it's a bit hard to tell with that dot test. pH is 7.3.

FC dropped to 8.5 by the the end of the day yesterday. It's definitely drops much slower once I jacked up CYA.

Are you saying I can go swimming at that high-ish level of FC?

A FC of 8.5 with a CYA of 40 is not high. SLAM level for a 40 CYA is 16 ppm FC.

Go swimming.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.