Green pool questions about SLAM

pmuvb

May 1, 2020
NC
I have a green pool and like many other poor souls I went to my local pool store for advice and chemicals. They sold me Green To Clean and Cal-Hypo and gave me the instructions which I followed to the letter but my pool was still green. I went to the store for the second time and, per their advice, I repeated the process again but my pool is still green. It’s improved somewhat as it turned from dark green to a light, milky green but clearly there is still algae in the water. So, here I am ready to embark on SLAM process.

These are the most recent readings done in a store:
FC 0.57
TC 5.34
pH 8.7
TA 52
CYA 5
CA 322

I have few questions on SLAM, and my first one is about TA, since TA is low should I raise TA first?

Sorry to say but you cant start a SLAM without a proper Test Kits Compared, please order them ASAP include the speedstir. When you get you kit in post test results and we can help you.
Edit: Just read your signature do. you have the test kit???
why post store test results?

Per their signature, they have the K-2006C which is fine. Post the most recent results using that, and not the pool store.

Assuming the pool store is not way off base, your CYA is not high so it should make slamming much easier. Get your PH to 7.2 and raise FC to the appropriate level for your CYA.

The pool store should be strung up for selling Cal Hypo to someone in S California. The CH of your pool water is at least 250 ppm. With evaporation in this area the CH climbs quickly.

Please use liquid chlorine.

I am not in So Cal, in NC. website inserted my location (wrongly) but I fixed it.

I've bought a test, it's in my sig. I am gonna go check the levels using my test kit but the results will not be far off. I've already compared my results with
store results before.

So, should I:
1. Increase CYA.
2. Increase TA.
3. Lower pH.
4. Start SLAM

In that order?

My concern is that with that low CYA, chlorine will be quickly burned out by sun. It's sunny here.

As you may have noticed we dont pay attention to poolstore tests results. We trust your results from the Taylor kit more than the store(they always want to sell you something). Post your test results and we can go from there.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Unbelievable but my results are somewhat different:
FC 0.2
CC 0.4
pH 7.0 - I took it three times from diff parts of the pool, attached to double check with you that i am not just seeing things.
TA 40
CYA 0 - I could see the dot at the bottom even I filled the bottle to the brim.
CH 360

So you are saying I should not go to the store to check my results… you are saying they can fudge them?!

My questions are if I should balance TA before pH, and in which order I should balance CYA and pH?

Attachments

• IMG_20200502_180137.jpg
    IMG_20200502_180137.jpg
    297.2 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Great job on testing.
Get 30 ppm worth of CYA dissolving using the sock method.
I would not touch pH right now. Just start the SLAM Process.
Once you get the CYA dissolving, add liquid chlorine to get to 12 ppm FC and maintain it there several times per day.
From now on, use a 10ml sample for FC testing. One scoop of powder, each drop of reagent to clear is 0.5 ppm FC.

Just test FC during the SLAM.

Last edited:
I spent about 150 on chemicals last year. I opened last weekend to a clear pool. I added 4 bags of salt and 4 pounds of cya left over from last year. I have a jug of bleach to get fc up. I will add two boxes of borax. Between the swg and the bot I hardly do anything. Stay away from the store and follow the advice you will get. You will save so much money...seriously.

So you are saying I should not go to the store to check my results… you are saying they can fudge them?!
They dont fudge them on purpose, they just dont care, because its not their pool and as long as the numbers tell them to sell you something they are happy and you have less bills on your pocket for you and your loved ones.

Your results from the Taylor kit just proves it to you. Next time use a blank piece of paper on the back of the ph test for better comparison or a white wall if you have one.

Reactions: IceShadow
I don't think its that they don't care.. they just don't have the level of attention that is required. They are testing hundreds of samples. there is a lot of cross contamination between samples, If they use electronic testers, there is a greater chance they are not calibrated frequently enough, There are just to many variables. If you test the water yourself its always you with the same kit we use and it tends to be more consistent.
I suppose you could take your water, and your tester and your reagents to the store and have them test. You might get a more consistent result.... might as well do it yourself

I spent about 150 on chemicals last year. I opened last weekend to a clear pool. I added 4 bags of salt and 4 pounds of cya left over from last year. I have a jug of bleach to get fc up. I will add two boxes of borax. Between the swg and the bot I hardly do anything. Stay away from the store and follow the advice you will get. You will save so much money...seriously.

I noticed, I spent 400+ over the prev two weekends. I was not good with chemistry in school so i figured i'd go ask store guys.

Great job on testing.
Get 30 ppm worth of CYA dissolving using the sock method.
I would not touch pH right now. Just start the SLAM Process.
Once you get the CYA dissolving, add liquid chlorine to get to 12 ppm FC and maintain it there several times per day.
From now on, use a 10ml sample for FC testing. One scoop of powder, each drop of reagent to clear is 0.5 ppm FC.

Just test FC during the SLAM.

Great job on testing. - THX

I've been scouring liquid chlorine for SLAM. So far i've got 13 gallons, which is prob not enough for my pool so I'll keep looking while I raise my CYA.

Q: what is the sock method? Do I use my gold toe or a basket sock? googling is giving me different answers, some people simply fill granular CYA in a basket.

Q: what is the sock method?
Add the CYA by using what we call the sock method. Get an old sock (no holes) or panty hose and put the measured amount of CYA you need. Tie the sock closed and either suspend it in front of a return (hang it from your brush pole works with something weighted on the deck) OR if it still allows flow thru the skimmer, place the sock in the skimmer. Every 15/20 minutes give the sock a squeeze to speed up the process. Please DO NOT follow the directions on the container of CYA to just pour it into the skimmer and don't just toss the sock in the pool as the CYA is acidic and can bleach/stain pool finishes.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.