Green pool nightmare returns

Racingpools

Apr 29, 2021
Orlando, FL
Hi all,

I posted earlier in this year about my black/brown/green pool nightmare. I’ve been fighting issue after issue until I finally thought I had everything solved until my pool turned green again.

I’d been battling a pool leak which took several weeks to resolve and every time I added filtered well water my pool would turn green again before running a big blue filter/sump pump with 0.5 micron filter for 2-3 days until clear. Frustrating but not a big deal and it only added to the stains I knew I’d have to deal with later anyway.

After I’d fixed the leak and the weather cooled off I did an ascorbic acid treatment by the book. It worked out great, instantly fresh looking pool and a day later I was rebalancing… miracle work. Well that was about 10 days ago. Stupidly I’ve been finessing my SWG settings and I must have gone too low because the water began to go cloudy, and the FC was 0, so I threw in some liquid chlorine to stop it fast. It worked but now my pool has turned a green tint with about 13 FC and 70 CYA. I’ve been running pool filter and make shift filter continuously for 3 days and it won’t budge - the water also looks a little cloudy? What on earth is happening? My family just got in town and have been so excited to swim! Please help!

Attachments

• DC532765-25AE-44BD-BE12-1C69BBDAEB95.jpeg
    DC532765-25AE-44BD-BE12-1C69BBDAEB95.jpeg
    586.8 KB · Views: 15
Your low FC caused an algae bloom and then your shock-level of chlorine caused the iron to start to precipitate. when you have iron issues with your pool water you have to maintain absolutely tight control over your FC or else you risk staining. SLAM's are much more difficult to do when iron is present because they will lead to staining. Doing the ascorbic acid treatment did not eliminate the iron, it only made the iron dissolve back into the water where the sequestering agent could hold onto it. But, the high FC levels will destroy the sequestering chemicals and thus release the iron back into solution where it will oxidize and precipitate out.

You basically need to SLAM your pool now, pass the SLAM criteria and then, once the FC has drifted back down, you will need to do another ascorbic acid treatment to remove the stains that will likely occur. Sorry, this is life with iron laden well water.

You'll need to think of a way to get rid of the well-sourced pool water and replace it with iron free water. You may need to truck water in and then find a creative way to capture rain water and use that instead of the well. Or, if you can afford it, you'll need to purchase a high quality iron filtration system for your well to remove the iron before it gets to your pool.

Reactions: Oly
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.