Green Pool - Need Feedback!

kevinm10

May 15, 2021
Saint Louis, MO
I’m currently taking care of this pool that has a lot of algae problems. I opened the pool on Saturday and on Sunday I started the chemical process. Here is a follow run down of chemicals used on each day.

Sunday- Metal Free treatment
Monday - 3 Pounds of Shock
Tuesday - None
Wednesday - Chlorinator fixed output set to 100% - Shocked Again.
Thursday - 4 Pounds of Shock
Friday - Algecide 40 roughly 24oz
Saturday - 5 Pounds of shock

The pool is beginning to clear up it is still green now just less harsh and I’m able to see the bottom in the shallow end of the pool. I have the chlorintor set to 100% with chlorine tabs in it. The Polaris pressure side vacuum is also running and I backwash the sand filter everyday. I’m just at a halt at the moment because I’m sorta lost. Do I continue to shock it? Or do I add Algecide or Water Clarifier?

Welcome to the forum!
You need to follow the SLAM Process. To do that, you need a proper test kit. I suggest the TF-100 A proper test kit is needed to get the accurate water chemistry results needed to follow the TFP protocols.

While you are waiting on your test kit, add 5 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine / plain bleach to your pool each evening with the pump running. This will replenish the FC lost each day to the sun and also inhibit any algae in the water from growing further.
Discontinue adding algaecide. Algaecide is a preventative, and many have copper in them. That will stain your pool and turn blonde hair green.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

I have about 15 shock bags currently, could I just dissolve it in water or should I purchase liquid chlorine?
The answer depends on your other chem levels and what sort of shock it is. Since you don’t know your chem levels with any level of real certainty, stick to liquid until a good test kit comes in. Once you know your levels the shock might work fine, but I’d hate for you to add something that would make things worse!

The answer depends on your other chem levels and what sort of shock it is. Since you don’t know your chem levels with any level of real certainty, stick to liquid until a good test kit comes in. Once you know your levels the shock might work fine, but I’d hate for you to add something that would make things worse!
The shock I have been using is Dichlor and I’m aware now it has a high amount of Cyranic acid. I can test the water tomorrow and get my levels but would you recommend using something other than Dichlor since it’s had high CYA to get rid of algae?

Yes. If your CYA is high you could be making the issue worse. Definitely use liquid chlorine until your test kit comes in and you can test to see what the CYA level really is. :)

Ok! So if my CYA is high which I suspect it is once I get it lowered and use liquid chlorine I should start to see more of a change in the water especially the algae? Another question I have is do you think I should switch from Dichlor to something else like tricolor? I’m also aware that dichlor and calcium hypochlorite do react and explode so what would be a good option?

Dichlor and trichlor both have CYA. Cal-hypo increases calcium with the LC addition. You are correct that if they’re mixed together they can explode but that’s more about putting both in the same bucket of water. In a pool, after 15 mins with the pump running, it’s dispersed and not an issue to add different chems. The biggest reason not to would be if your CYA or CH are already high.

Depending on your levels you will probably want to stick to liquid chlorine. But we will know more when you can test with a good kit and post results. :)

If your CYA is high you will likely be exchanging water to bring it down.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.