green pool again

keighley59

Bronze Supporter
Jul 19, 2020
Essex, UK
Hi all, me again....

I am learning more and more every season, but still very novice. I'm looking for a bit of reassuring 'yep, you're doing the right thing, keep going'

I have a green pool again, not sure why this time, but definitely green.

I am using pool math and slam'ing the pool. I am brushing the pool daily, vac'ing daily and now adding chlorine x3 days a day.

My readings are:

yesterday - 1:51pm FC=6.0 - added 55oz 15% bleach
yesterday - 4:39pm fc=7.0 - added 41oz bleach
today - 7:55 am fc=6.4 - added 49oz beach
today - 2:09pm fc=3.0 - added 95oz bleach
today - 7:14pm fc=5.0 - added 68oz bleach

Just carry on, or am I missing something?

Ta in advance .... Rob

Hi Maddie,

I will take a full reading again tomorrow: The last full set I took was:

yesterday at 13:25

fc = 6
ph = 7.6
TA = 150
CH = 220
CYA = 22

I know that the TA is high, but want to sort the algae first. I released the CYA was low and needed to be adjusted for the slam, so added 17oz of dry stabiliser via the sock method.

Note - the CYA had dropped from 33 3 days ago.

I hope this helps? Will take full set again tomorrow.

Rob

Okay, the TA is the last item you need to worry about.
The way the CYA test goes we want to treat your water as if your CYA is 30. Was that report of CYA 22 before or after you added some?
Really important to be using enough Liquid Chlorine. I see from your log you're doing a good job treating multiple times per day, so yay! But again, assume that CYA is 30 and dose according to the chart:
View media item 228714

The way the CYA test goes we want to treat your water as if your CYA is 30. Was that report of CYA 22 before or after you added some?
Really important to be using enough Liquid Chlorine. I see from your log you're doing a good job treating multiple times per day, so yay! But again, assume that CYA is 30 and dose according to the chart:
View media item 228714
Maddie, the 22 was before I treated - I will do a full test in the morning.

View media item 228714
thanks also for the chart - I have left the default of 10 in Pool Math. I'm probably not putting enough chlorine in. Really appreciate your time Maddie, in helping me

I can definitely do more - I thought x3 times was a bit excessive
I did every 1-2 hours, 8am to 12-1am and it still took 5 days. But I'm extra and was on a mission to clear the pool before a July 4th weekend. The more, the better, the faster it clears.

Reactions: keighley59

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
tada...... I have a blue pool again, thanks all.

lessons learnt this time.

1) the correlation between CYA and chlorine whilst slamming is critical
2) try and test and feed chlorine every 3 hours, in the long run it will be quicker.
3) and most importantly, this is an amazing forum with amazing people that always want to help everyone - thank you

Rob

Reactions: YippeeSkippy
Blue is fantastic! But you want to be sure to keep with SLAM Process until :
✅ CC is 0.5 or lower;
✅ You pass an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test
AND
✅ The water is clear.
(Crystal Clear w/no algae dead or alive)
To ensure that you have truly eradicated the algae.
Also Do ALL the things 👇
*Check & scrub every nook & cranny where algae may hide {light niches, steps (inside & out), drain covers, ladder handrails, skimmer throats/weirs, abandoned lines, autofill, overflow drains, seam flaps, etc.}
*If water can go there, algae can thrive there.
*Run slam level water through all water features & lines for at least a couple hours a day during the SLAM Process.
*Brush & or vac daily (this breaks up biofilms that algae uses to protect itself from chlorine)
*Backwash/clean filter when pressure rises 25%over clean pressure.

Thereafter be sure that you maintain target range fc
FC/CYA Levels
so that you never risk falling below minimum at any time & there should be no more algae problems.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.