Green pool after rain

In your climate, with lots of airborne algal spores and rain events, I would run 10% of CYA for FC. Give you more buffer.

Overnight Chlorine loss completed...showing 11 FC now (13.5 last night), it was light on, but the sun was not actually up yet. So obviously I still have some algae, the pool is much clearer, but a touch green still. I'm out of bleach, but will continue to run the sanitizer at 100% for now. Perhaps get more bleach later to hit that 20% CYA. Sound good gents?

Perhaps get more bleach later to hit that 20% CYA. Sound good gents?
That's correct. The SWG may struggle to maintain a decent FC, so hopefully you'll find a source of chlorine or regular bleach to maintain that FC level. But you certainly have the idea now. Good luck!

Reactions: FloridaPoolNewbie
So I'm finding it hard to find bleach! I saw the Clorox with Cloromax which I avoided. Most of the other off brand bleach says "fabric protector" so not sure if I should use it. Any direction on they type of liquid bleach would be appreciated!

I either get the Pool Essentials from Walmart (10%) or go to my pool store for HASA 12.5% liquid chlorine.

What part of Florida are you in. You might want to call Leslies and see if they sell LC in their 2.5 gallon jugs, or Pinch a penny. In south Florida they are the cheapest place to get get LC.

So after adding liquid chlorine, got my FC up to 18 and it surely cleared the pool up. It was added Tuesday afternoon. The odd thing is that my FC is down to 9 already, within about 30 hours. Granted, I've been running the pump the whole time and the SWG is set to zero%. How is this possible? Still algae in the pool perhaps? Maybe just the very hot and sunny days we've had here?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Post algae, pouring rain update....OCLT showed no loss of FC, still at 9. I'd appreciate a look at my current tests below and my plan. Thanks everyone!

FC-9 (going to let it drop to 7 ppm and maintain, trying to maintain 10% of CYA)
pH- 7.5
TA- 80
CH- 175 (Fiberglass pool, unsure if I should treat this or not)
CYA- 70
Salt- 3500

Congratulations.

However, I would keep things at SLAM level for one more day. Just to be sure. There is no pain in adding another day, but you dont want to have to go through all this again if you missed something.

The rest of your numbers are fine. Enjoy your pool.

Congratulations.

However, I would keep things at SLAM level for one more day. Just to be sure. There is no pain in adding another day, but you dont want to have to go through all this again if you missed something.

The rest of your numbers are fine. Enjoy your pool.
So you'd recommend pouring more liquid chlorine in again to bump up to ~20% of CYA again? I may have to wait until my 6 year old swims this morning or he'll flip his lid.

Any thoughts on maintaining my FC post shock levels? It's coming down now and I have had my sanitizer on 0%. I don't want it to blow thru my target but I also don't want to check the FC twice a day like a lunatic. I'm aiming for 7ppm, and previously I was holding 4.5ppm with 25% on the SWG.

Set the SWCG to generate 4 ppm FC per day. Then test every day or other day and adjust up or down as necessary.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.