Green pool after rain

FloridaPoolNewbie

Bronze Supporter
May 5, 2021
Florida
In Florida and relatively new pool owner. FC kept recently in the 4-6 range (SWG). Today we had massive rains ~6-8", pool overflowed and became green within a couple of hours of rain.

I'm currently pumping water out of the pool and set my SWG to 100% purification to boost the FC. What are your thoughts? Should I run a higher FC daily? When would a good re-test time be for the water?

Recent pre-rain chemistry below...
FC- 4.5
PH- 7.5
TA- 110
CH- 300
CYA- 80
Salt- 3300

Last edited:
I would just do all the water release you need to then run a new set of test results. Post back and we'll help you based n those new numbers. Curious though, any chance debris from the yard overflowed into the pool during this rain? It's odd for a pool to turn green just from a downpour.

Reactions: FloridaPoolNewbie
I would just do all the water release you need to then run a new set of test results. Post back and we'll help you based n those new numbers. Curious though, any chance debris from the yard overflowed into the pool during this rain? It's odd for a pool to turn green just from a downpour.
It's a zero scape yard with rocks, some pinestraw around. We do have metal garden planters nearby and I'm wondering if the rainwater didn't leach out a ton of soil and fertilizer into the pool. I'm thinking my FC was on the low end to begin with and that didn't help.

Last edited:
Reactions: Texas Splash
Test results after a few hours, drained water, added 40# of salt (SWG showed 2200 initially), and am running 100% purification. Pool is getting better but still quite green.
Salt-3500
FC- 4
PH- 7.5
TA- 70
CH- 200
CYA- 80 (surprised this didn't drop)

I have a feeling the FC simply dropped a bit too much. You might consider doing an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test this evening. If you have some liquid chlorine or regular bleach, add some to get the FC up to about 7-9 this evening. I'm sure the water could use it now. Turn off the SWG about 30 minutes before taking your first nighttime FC sample.

Reactions: FloridaPoolNewbie
Check the Clorox, if it shows Cloromax, that is not good for the pool.

Use PoolMath for how much to use. In a 5000 gallon pool, you need about 3 quarts of 10% liquid chlorine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.