green no more

Hi,

Need help please. New owner to intex 24' x 52" and salt water oxidizer. Pool turned green in 3rd week. The output slowed to a crawl. Checked the filter/cell and it was one piece of algae, obstructing water flow almost completely. I shocked the pool twice without the filter and left the pump on 24/7 for now. Water is as clear as can be! I'd likesomeone to clear this witchcraft up for me : )

Why did this happen in the fist place (based on information provided). Can I still use salt water oxidizer -

Thanks from a crazy newbie

cc,

Welcome to TFP... A Great resource for all witchcraft debunking... :drown:

Sorry, but I'm not sure what a "Saltwater Oxidizer" is... :confused:

Most pool owners get Algae for one simple reason.... they let their FC (chlorine) level drop much, much too low..

I would suggest that you read through our Pool School.... Pool School - Pool School

We believe in the concept of testing our own pool water so that we can understand what our pools need, or more importantly, what "Magic" Pool $tore chemicals they don't need.

You can find out more here.... Pool School - What is TFPC?

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

pool blockage

New Intex pool owner 54" x 24'. Suddenly Pool-->green-->salt water pump & filter pump were at a trickle, low flow indicator (+) on SWP. Could not determine why until (*drumroll*)filter cell was one hunk of hardening algae ? calcium. Nothing could pass through it hardly.

Temporary measures, shocked the pool several times, removed the cell, and let the water flow rip.

Have been doing this for several days now; water is clear ( yeah) and people actually do not mind getting in it.

Ok, what happened, and can anybody advise how to keep it from happening again? On setup I put enough salt in the match a 13k gallon pool.

Why did this happen in the fist place (based on information provided). Can I still use salt water oxidizer -

You didn't provide enough information to know why it happened. Did you test and balance your new water before adding salt and turning on the SWG? What is your CYA (stabilizer) level? Did you bring your free chlorine level up to maintenance using liquid chlorine before turning on the SWG? Salt water generators are pretty good at maintaining chlorine levels but not at bringing the levels up from 0. Last, even using a SWG, you still need to test your water regularly and may still need to add additional chlorine occasionally.

You didn't provide enough information to know why it happened. Did you test and balance your new water before adding salt and turning on the SWG? What is your CYA (stabilizer) level? Did you bring your free chlorine level up to maintenance using liquid chlorine before turning on the SWG? Salt water generators are pretty good at maintaining chlorine levels but not at bringing the levels up from 0. Last, even using a SWG, you still need to test your water regularly and may still need to add additional chlorine occasionally.

I have been hesitant to engage the chemistry full on. I thought the salt/ph balance would be self-regulating if the proper amount of salt were put in. I think I am going to have to up my game and engage the pool at the level of chlorine above and beyond the salt water pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.