Tel Aviv
Hi,

I rent my home.
We have a pool with a new sand filter.
Good circulation.
5 working inflow pipes.
Good pump.
No flaps on the skimmer box doors.

I keep the ph and chlorine levels maintained with PH plus powder and chlorine tablets and liquid chlorine.

Even when levels are good, I’m constantly battling with a green dust that builds up on the floor. I see it one morning and by the next day it’s growing. It makes me think it’s algae but it comes even when the Chlorine levels are high. I vacuum the entire pool to waste and it’s sparking with great balance. Then 2 days later the floor is going green again. The water is clear. It’s just the floor. I brush it and it mixes into the water but I don’t think my filter can pick it up. Only vacuuming to waste seems to get rid of it. But it comes back so fast. It’s almost a full time job.

I skim the pool every day. We have trees around the pool but not much falls into it.

I’m not sure how often I should backwash but when I do, the bubble goes green and takes around 2 minutes to clear. Then I rinse.

After vacuuming to waste, when I next put the filter on, it seems like dirty water is being pumped back into the pool.

I have an old robot with a very fine micron bag. When I put the robot in, the bag is dirty but it seems to blow some of what it picks up, back into the water.

The temperature is around 30 degrees centigrade, the pool gets a lot of sun. I run my pump from 7am to 7pm, then again from 11pm to 3am.

Really, the only way to clear the dust/pollen/algae (??) is vacumm to waste. But is there a way of stopping it building up so quickly?

I went to the pool shop to ask if they have something to test CYA levels but they said no.

Thanks for all your help.

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: What you are describing does still sound like algae. To kill and remove algae, we follow a SLAM Process on this forum. It works very well when you are able to verify your current CYA level (stabilizer) and Free Chlorine (FC) level. Once you know the CYA, go to our FC/CYA Levels and increase the FC to the proper SLAM/FC level and maintain it until you pass all 3 SLAM criteria.

For the filter, we recommend backwashing when the filter pressure increases by 25% from the starting clean pressure. You should also review our ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry for more details. Let us know how else we can assist you.

Welcome to the forum!
Can we assume your location is Israel?
The tough part is, without knowing your CYA level, you do not know what level your FC should be at. See FC/CYA Levels. And with active algae, you need to follow the SLAM Process.
Is there any way for you to import a test kit?
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

Great thanks for all the help so far.
If I don’t find a CYA test kit is it possible to to the slam process and just use more liquid chlorine than I might need?

I suppose I’m saying, if I add too much chlorine, will it be a problem, providing we don’t swim in it for a few days?

What test do you have access to, and what ppm does it go to? Perhaps you can use distilled water to mix with the pool water in a ratio that you can then multiply by for testing to get some idea of what ppm chlorine is in the water?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.