Green Dog

Lucanjo

Gold Supporter
Jul 6, 2018
Bel Air, MD
I could use some help with this one. Pool was filled in May, I've been the only one to put chemicals in and have been following the TFP method with the poolmath app. I've had no issues with the water but recently I've noticed my dog has had the slightest tinge of green on his legs where he walks on the tanning ledge. At first I thought it was from him running through the grass but I'm not so sure. Fill water was 3 tankers trucks and the hose. House is on municipal water. Have not added any alegicide or any other chemicals that could contain copper. Just bleach, acid, CYA, and Calcium. No staining on the plaster as far as I can tell. Any ideas? Is there a reliable copper test. I just bought this copper test kit for aquariums hoping it might show me something.

Any thoughts, could the green be from something else? It's barely noticeable on the dog.

Thanks,

Joe

Hello Joe. :wave: That kit may work. When copper is over .3 ppm we suspect there will be problems. You can also let the pool store try their testing to see what they show, but of course their free testing can be hit & miss as well.

Last edited:
Reminds me of a story my (former, passed :() neighbor told me. And the one that convinced me we needed a pool after he invited us to swim our dogs one weekend. He was a big guy, long hair, big beard - biker looking dude. In retirement took a job as a bailiff in the county courthouse. On Monday he shows up to work with green hair and beard (copper in the pool). The judge had a good time with that. I do miss him!

Thanks for the laugh, I tried to take a picture of the dog but he doesn't look green at all in the photo. Like I said you can barely tell. That copper test should be here tomorrow. I'll post the results. FC has been a little low (3.5 today with a CYA of 80) I keep needing to bump up the SWG. CC is never above .5 though. Any other cases for a very slightly green tinted dog? Our neighbors kids have been swimming and they are both as blonde as can be, no issues with their hair. Starting to think my dog is just screwing with me...

Would the dog be in contact with any other sources of copper that aren't from the pool? Some plant foods, soils, and fertilizers contain copper. It may be sticking to his fur and turning green from contact with the pool water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Good suggestion, didn't think of using vit C on the dog. Maybe I need to stop thinking the pool is a bath and actually bath him one of these days.

I did put lawn fertilizer down about 2 weeks ago but was VERY careful to not get any near the pool. He does had access to the lawn though. I guess he could have tracked some in. No staining on the tanning ledge.

I'll try some things and post when I get the results from that copper test.

Thanks again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.