Green Cloudy Pool for Two Weeks

Where do you get the water from? Can we see pictures and from the equipment pad.
Water is from our well; attached are pictures of the pump and the pool.

Attachments

• 787AE1D5-9F09-497C-A24B-8B1B474975BA.jpeg
    787AE1D5-9F09-497C-A24B-8B1B474975BA.jpeg
    688.2 KB · Views: 34
  • E9BFC36F-0C72-4E35-9A22-D688EC5F22D6.jpeg
    E9BFC36F-0C72-4E35-9A22-D688EC5F22D6.jpeg
    421.4 KB · Views: 34
  • 23AE6E16-CC51-4128-A8B6-C9139B22D93A.jpeg
    23AE6E16-CC51-4128-A8B6-C9139B22D93A.jpeg
    485.2 KB · Views: 34
It could be some of the green is from iron, but either way, it's cloudy so the SLAM is the best way to go. If it goes crystal clear but green, then we can figure out what to do about iron. (Typically it's polyfil in the skimmer - you can do that now but I'm worried it'll clog up with the dead algae more than the iron.)

Keep with the SLAM process and measure once an hour (if possible, minimum 3x a day) and bring back to SLAM levels. To save reagents you can use a 5ml sample and each drop is 1ppm FC.

The pool should be going a milky blue within a couple of days. If it doesn't and FC holds pretty well, especially at night, it's possible that you're seeing a bunch of dead algae making it cloudy + iron making it green. Still best to finish out the SLAM until it's clear.

It could be some of the green is from iron, but either way, it's cloudy so the SLAM is the best way to go. If it goes crystal clear but green, then we can figure out what to do about iron. (Typically it's polyfil in the skimmer - you can do that now but I'm worried it'll clog up with the dead algae more than the iron.)

Keep with the SLAM process and measure once an hour (if possible, minimum 3x a day) and bring back to SLAM levels. To save reagents you can use a 5ml sample and each drop is 1ppm FC.

The pool should be going a milky blue within a couple of days. If it doesn't and FC holds pretty well, especially at night, it's possible that you're seeing a bunch of dead algae making it cloudy + iron making it green. Still best to finish out the SLAM until it's clear.
Thank you. I will continue to SLAM until I get this clear. I am brushing and vacuuming daily as well.

Reactions: IceShadow
While in SLAM mode, you should maximize the use of polyfill as well as the elevated FC level will aggravate the iron. Place polyfill in the skimmer and/or run water through a separate container/filter. Filter as much iron out as you can during this period.

full

It is cloudy and green. Attached Is a photo.
Arzgrl,

As others have said, you have to follow the SLAM process. Trust it, it will work.

My pool problems brought me here, after buying all the Crud the pool stores try to sell. After several years of struggling, I finally ended up here, with a huge chlorine problem (and CYA through the roof). I had to SLAM for several days, checking the chlorine level every few hours. It did finally work (about 24 gallons of liquid chlorine later).

Trust the SLAM process. It will work.

Reactions: mknauss
I have those steps- they are an algae hotel if not modified.
Yank em & scrub them with diluted bleach. Not doing so will really drag out the slam.
Like flip them on their back & get inside & scrub and look around. U will need a bottle brush to get between the bottom of the steps & the bottom step if that makes sense. Inbetween Where the feet are connected & every cranny. Also the handrail pipes.
If there’s sand in the ballast dump it & put something sealed in there. I have sealed countrytime lemonade containers of concrete in mine. I also drilled lots of extra holes so they have circulation & i can reach all the hidden areas with a brush. Like every few inches all the way around the bottom. Mine are also weighted down with sealed concrete filled bleach jugs.
A6EE1F33-8539-4374-BB21-7DB79D762E55.jpeg

Reactions: Decoy205
I have those steps- they are an algae hotel if not modified.
Yank em & scrub them with diluted bleach. Not doing so will really drag out the slam.
Like flip them on their back & get inside & scrub and look around. U will need a bottle brush to get between the bottom of the steps & the bottom step if that makes sense. Inbetween Where the feet are connected & every cranny. Also the handrail pipes.
If there’s sand in the ballast dump it & put something sealed in there. I have sealed countrytime lemonade containers of concrete in mine. I also drilled lots of extra holes so they have circulation & i can reach all the hidden areas with a brush. Like every few inches all the way around the bottom. Mine are also weighted down with sealed concrete filled bleach jugs.
View attachment 446662
Thank you. Yes we pulled them out last night so here's hoping it works. Lost 4PPM of chlorine last night after not really losing any all day yesterday

Reactions: Mdragger88
It took me several rounds of pulling them & drilling more holes to prevent stagnant areas I couldn’t get to from accumulating funk.
After the 3rd go round w/ having to slam I went bananas on them & now I am able to regularly brush them through the holes while in the pool & also shove the hose in the holes to blow them out whenever I need to top off the pool .
I remove them & inspect & clean them at the beginning & end of each season. I leave them in the pool over the winter & just remove the hand rail.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Update…finally able to see the bottom of our pool after several weeks of SLAMMING. Thank you so much. Hoping another week and we will pass all 3 tests. It’s still cloudy and losing chlorine overnight more than 1ppm but there’s progress

Attachments

• F07538CE-1F03-496C-B863-2F2D3AAD05E1.jpeg
    F07538CE-1F03-496C-B863-2F2D3AAD05E1.jpeg
    239.8 KB · Views: 18
You’re going in the right direction!
Keep going until u pass ALL 3 end of slam criteria & Keep filtering 24/7 👍🏻
*Check & scrub every nook & cranny where algae may hide (light niches, steps, drain covers, ladder handrails, skimmer throats/weirs, etc.)
*Run slam level water through all water features & lines for at least a couple hours a day.
*Brush & or vac daily (this breaks up biofilms that algae uses to protect itself from chlorine)
*Backwash/clean filter when pressure rises 25%over clean pressure.

I see u are logging your additions but not your test results so its a little hard to tell your losses.
Also, it’s been a while since u have checked/adjusted ph so you may want to check it if/when fc drops to 10ppm or below. The ph results are invalid at fc levels above 10ppm.

You’re going in the right direction!
Keep going until u pass ALL 3 end of slam criteria & Keep filtering 24/7 👍🏻
*Check & scrub every nook & cranny where algae may hide (light niches, steps, drain covers, ladder handrails, skimmer throats/weirs, etc.)
*Run slam level water through all water features & lines for at least a couple hours a day.
*Brush & or vac daily (this breaks up biofilms that algae uses to protect itself from chlorine)
*Backwash/clean filter when pressure rises 25%over clean pressure.

I see u are logging your additions but not your test results so its a little hard to tell your losses.
Also, it’s been a while since u have checked/adjusted ph so you may want to check it if/when fc drops to 10ppm or below. The ph results are invalid at fc levels above 10ppm.
Thank you for letting me know that as I thought when I logged my additions it logged results too. I will start logging them; we have to keep our FC at 24 with our high CYA so haven’t been able to accurately test PH while SLAMMING.

Reactions: IceShadow
Thank you for letting me know that as I thought when I logged my additions it logged results too. I will start logging them; we have to keep our FC at 24 with our high CYA so haven’t been able to accurately test PH while SLAMMING.
On the overview page hit the “+ “ at the bottom, then hit “log test results” - after that each of your results will be automatically filled in on each parameter’s card as your “current” value when you go to calculate each addition.
B218F224-7209-4304-BD8A-3A490D0A6FA2.jpegE4782DB3-5968-4DAB-9047-8CF8BA641CF3.jpeg

Reactions: Arzgrl21
We are very antsy now that the pool is finally clear (it's been over a month) and kids want to swim; FC is at 24 for SLAMMING and my OCLT is still over 1 with CC at 1 as well. With this high of FC level is it safe to swim?

We are very antsy now that the pool is finally clear (it's been over a month) and kids want to swim; FC is at 24 for SLAMMING and my OCLT is still over 1 with CC at 1 as well. With this high of FC level is it safe to swim?
Yep. Don’t go higher than SLAM level but FC 24 at CYA 60 is way less harsh than FC 3 with CYA of 0.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.