Green bathtub ring around pool, CYA too low but TA too high

It will probably be much lower when u check it again. It’s ok & not an extreme overdose- mustard algae slam level is 18ppm so no damage done.
High fc levels burn off at a higher rate so overdoing it mostly just wastes fc to the sun ☀️ Do your best to maintain slam level.
Be sure to re check your cya level tomorrow during the day (outdoors is best) since it’s now had plenty of time to fully dissolve & adjust slam level if necessary.
I just checked it’s 18 now. Oops. I’ll check again before bed. I don’t know how I went from not being able to even get to 12 to all the way to 18 . Ugh. Well I’m not going to add anymore tonight I’ll check it before bed and in the morning see how much is lost overnight. I scrubbed really well, I still see the light mossy stuff on the one step despite fc being 18 and the scrubbing.

Reactions: Mdragger88
I'd say what you describe is testing error. Make sure the dropper is completely vertical and let the droplets fall off the tip by themselves. Uniformity is important to have what to compare one test to the othere. Oh, and using the 10ml level is good enough and will save reagent.

I'd say what you describe is testing error. Make sure the dropper is completely vertical and let the droplets fall off the tip by themselves. Uniformity is important to have what to compare one test to the othere. Oh, and using the 10ml level is good enough and will save reagent.
Actually it was my bad, I turned off my SWG yesterday but after the chlorine not working I turned it back on and forgot when I added the gallon jug. I turned it off again. Man I hope I don’t have to SLAM again for a long time this is stressful

Be sure to re check your cya level tomorrow during the day (outdoors is best) since it’s now had plenty of time to fully dissolve & adjust slam level if necessary.
Actually it was my bad, I turned off my SWG yesterday but after the chlorine not working I turned it back on and forgot when I added the gallon jug. I turned it off again. Man I hope I don’t have to SLAM again for a long time this is stressful
well look on the bright side - u know your swg is producing!
You also haven’t fallen below slam level so you’re killing it - literally 🤣

I imagine what happened here initially is that your cya fell too low allowing The extreme Vegas sun to consume what your swg produced.
When SLAM is complete & u are certain u have passed all 3 end of slam criteria- u can increase cya to the 70 range to prevent this from occurring again.
What swg/cell do u have? If you’re not sure u can take a pic & we can help u determine which one it is & the proper settings for maintenance fc levels going forward.

I imagine what happened here initially is that your cya fell too low allowing The extreme Vegas sun to consume what your swg produced.
When SLAM is complete & u are certain u have passed all 3 end of slam criteria- u can increase cya to the 70 range to prevent this from occurring again.
What swg/cell do u have? If you’re not sure u can take a pic & we can help u determine which one it is & the proper settings for maintenance fc levels going forward.
My CYA was def too low after we did our refill in April. I also use a solar cover so not my best moments the last two months. I have a Hayward aqua rite T cell. I would love some assistance.
So I checked my FC when I got home and it was 10 so a little lower than SLAM but I added more right away and I checked my CC and it’s 0 and my water is still clear. I may try the overnight FC loss test tonight and see how that goes. I really appreciate your help. I also checked my CYA and it’s 30 but I’ll bring it up to 70 when the SLAM is over.

Also sorry, the green bathtub mark is just about gone but I’m having a heck of time getting the green off the grout. One corner also has what looks like some calcium?

Attachments

• CB19B187-198F-40A3-B052-924748092EB7.jpeg
    CB19B187-198F-40A3-B052-924748092EB7.jpeg
    402 KB · Views: 13
  • 78537289-CA77-41D1-81C8-BFCADEBAFFAF.jpeg
    78537289-CA77-41D1-81C8-BFCADEBAFFAF.jpeg
    369.3 KB · Views: 13

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Wireform is correct. Straight pool bleach should remove the green bathtub mark. If the whitish area is a calcium deposit muriatic acid will dissolve calcium deposits but important (do not mix muriatic acid with chlorine) use the bleach one day and muriatic acid the next. Use caution when applying these chemicals straight (eyes, skin, clothes etc.).

First step is to obtain an adequate CYA level. Next, If your TA is too high (alkaline), muriatic acid will lower it but it will also lower your pH (increased acidity). Baking soda will increase your pH back up but it also increases TA as well. Borates however will raise pH while raise in alkalinity is minimal. Using a borate buffer system (borates) in salt water chlorine generating pools and be beneficial as the pH in these pools tends to drift upward. Before adding borates to your pool, read up on them, there is a lot of information on this topic in TFP, some people like borates, some don't.

For the overnight FC loss test are you supposed to keep your pump running all night?

There are multiple t cells - they have different chlorine outputs so u need to know which one u have
It’s the 940. I would love help on what percentage to run it at and also I’ve been kind of clueless on how often and what RPM to run my pool pump too…if anyone has feedback!

Great 👍🏻 add that info to your signature.
That cell has got plenty of production for your size pool. 1.47 lb/day
If u run your pump all the time it looks like 20-30% should do it.
The average algae free pool consumes 2-4 ppm daily +/- For environmental conditions/seasons
You can play around with run times & percentages in PoolMath effects of adding in the hamburger menu.
Select SWG, then type in 1.47 or use the search 🔍 to find your cell.

As an example,
Here’s what 24hrs @ 20% looks like in your pool volume 👇
D8901CD1-E906-4FA0-8DEE-48ADAE45565A.png
Most with variable speed pumps & swg’s run at a low rpm (1200-1400) pretty much all the time & then just adjust swg percentage. That’s the beauty of the vsp- the ability to produce fc, skim, & filter around the clock if u like without the hit to the electric bill.
If you get a low flow warning ⚠️ on the swg you will know its set a little too low & u should bump up the rpms a little.

When u get done with the slam you can tinker with it to suit your needs.
For now swg should be off & pump running 24/7 at whatever speed effectively skims. Some say around 1800rpms or so. You wanna be constantly filtering the dead stuff out.
Don’t forget to clean your filters when pressure rises 25% over clean pressure.

Reactions: JenniferMarie90
Great 👍🏻 add that info to your signature.
That cell has got plenty of production for your size pool. 1.47 lb/day
If u run your pump all the time it looks like 20-30% should do it.
The average algae free pool consumes 2-4 ppm daily +/- For environmental conditions/seasons
You can play around with run times & percentages in PoolMath effects of adding in the hamburger menu.
Select SWG, then type in 1.47 or use the search 🔍 to find your cell.

As an example,
Here’s what 24hrs @ 20% looks like in your pool volume 👇
View attachment 435781
Most with variable speed pumps & swg’s run at a low rpm (1200-1400) pretty much all the time & then just adjust swg percentage. That’s the beauty of the vsp- the ability to produce fc, skim, & filter around the clock if u like without the hit to the electric bill.
If you get a low flow warning ⚠️ on the swg you will know its set a little too low & u should bump up the rpms a little.

When u get done with the slam you can tinker with it to suit your needs.
For now swg should be off & pump running 24/7 at whatever speed effectively skims. Some say around 1800rpms or so. You wanna be constantly filtering the dead stuff out.
Don’t forget to clean your filters when pressure rises 25% over clean pressure.
Thank you! So bad news I think? I did a CC test and it turned pink. It was just 0.5 ppm. Is that a fail? It didn’t turn pink at all the other day ugh

CC .5 or less is not a fail. Water clear. OCLT loss of FC less than 1
All three are your exit criteria for SLAM
Thank you! You know I passed all the slam criteria but I’m still dealing with this light green yellow bathtub ring. When I scratch it, it comes off. But I had brushed super well during the slam and it’s back. Does this mean perhaps the SLAM was not finished?

Thank you! You know I passed all the slam criteria but I’m still dealing with this light green yellow bathtub ring. When I scratch it, it comes off. But I had brushed super well during the slam and it’s back. Does this mean perhaps the SLAM was not finished?
It’s possible its scale & also organic staining. What is your ch?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.