SplashyJon

Jul 28, 2022
Delaware
visible green algae. just on the bottom. Just switched back to liquid chlorine from pucks 3 days ago. Had to drain some water to get CYA down from all the granular “shock” I added trying to kill the algae. Hit the pool hard with liquid Chlorine while waiting for my test kit. Probably should have waited but didn’t want algae to get worse.
CYA is now 60ish, FC-24, CC-1, alkalinity 120, pH is high at 7.8-8.
I have ph down but didnt get any muriatic yet.
should I leave pH alone for now while I wait for SLAM to kill all the algae? Ad ph down now or later? Or just go buy some acid And don’t use Ph down?

alos I have been rinsing both filters a lot to keep the algae from turning them green, but I have lots. When is the best time to put new ones in. After it passes slam? Thanks!

Hey! Welcome to TFP!! :wave:
should I leave pH alone for now while I wait for SLAM to kill all the algae? Ad ph down now or later? Or just go buy some acid And don’t use Ph down?
pH is fine until you are ready for SLAM. You can adjust right before SLAM. Go buy some muriatic acid. pH down adds sulfates = bad for equipment.
alos I have been rinsing both filters a lot to keep the algae from turning them green, but I have lots. When is the best time to put new ones in. After it passes slam? Thanks!
After it passes slam, if necessary!

You got this! For inspiration -->How Clear is TFP Clear?

Probably should have waited but didn’t want algae to get worse.
Great recommendation is to add 5ppm of liquid chlorine per day. It is safe and will keep algae at bay without doing damage to pool or equipment.

Download PoolMath, it will help you determine how much to add to get 5ppm into the pool...

Thanks for the help!
I’m basically at SLAM levels now though i think?
Chart shows an FC 24 target for a CYA 60.
Tonight FC 27->24, CC 1, Alkalinity 120, pH 8
At FC 24 I will need to add Cl tonight to keep it above 24 until 2moro evening to maintain SLAM?
But can I just add the acid 2moro night to lower pH?
- I last added liquid chlorine (16oz) last night, blind, only test strips and box store drops so FC off the charts. There was slight visible algae so I broomed and vacuumed, rinsed filters, then added Cl.
I did broom and vacuum again this AM and put the shade cover up to limit solar burn off while I was at work all day. Much less algae tonight. I plan to Broom, Vac, and add Cl again tonight. Add muriatic to lower pH 2moro.

BUT with a CYA 60 and the subjectivity of the test should I just drain more water and refill to get a lower target FC?
I could drain now, or after SLAM. Is high Cl pool water bad for the yard? Pool is completely full.
My water supply is FC 1-2 CC 1 pH 7.6 low alkalinity on a test strip.

Also I only have the broom type box store “vacuum“ that hooks to a long pump hose running to an intex 635R 1000gph filter pump. Is just push it around on the bottom. Is this insufficient for small AG vinyl?

Previous post was actually from last nite.
FC 20 this morning so I added 16oz LC to get it up to 28 or so.
no visible algae now after work. Still cloudy. Going to retest now. Also brought home muriatic to bring down the pH.

But can I just add the acid 2moro night to lower pH?
You can skip pH testing and adjustments until after the SLAM. Your elevated FC level is skewing the pH result.

BUT with a CYA 60 and the subjectivity of the test should I just drain more water and refill to get a lower target FC?
You're fine. CYA of 60 with FC of 24 will work. :goodjob:

Is this insufficient for small AG vinyl?
That vacuum should be fine for now.

Reading SLAM process again I see that I must adjust pH prior to slam. Too late for that.
now what do I do? Let FC drop to “normal”, algae will return, then adjust pH and start again?
Ha. :poke: Just leave it alone for now.

What is the ideal CYA for small vinyl pool? 40-50?
That varies by location and amount of sun. I wouldn't worry about lowering your CYA any further. Just focus on the SLAM.

Relax and stay where you are. Maintain the FC of 24 and you'll do fine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
last night FC 28/29. Reagent 3 only brought on a slight pinkish hue that went away mostly with one drop. slighty more clear after 2 drops.
this morning FC 30 reagent 3 did not color change to pink. safe to say my CC is now zero?

How long would FC 30 take to reduce to safe swim levels? I have a shade above the pool I could take off to let the sun help. catch22 though is pool located very near large trees. the sun shade catches a not insignificant amount of small organic debris and a few leaves that my dual cheap index filters don’t have to deal with.

Side note - my CYA was maybe 60 on first tests with pro kit. But I think I looks closer to 70 maybe even 80. I’m going to drain some water and top off. Ok to discharge FC 30 pool water into my yard? Or wait for it to come down. Thanks

I don’t understand these readings. yesterday I drained maybe 25% and refilled to lower CYA. After refill and testing FC 20 CYA 50 down from FC28 CYA 70. pool was clean but slightly cloudy. I waded around and scrubbed the heck out of it again just to be sure algae not restarting even though I’m theoretically at SLAM levels.
this morning pool is clear. FC still 19 so not eating up the Chlorine. Why isn’t it dropping? Also when I checked the filters this morning they were fairly green. Rinsed and reinstalled. Pumps have been running 24/7. How can I have green algae in the filter cart but not in the pool and no CC?!

As long as no chlorine is being added, it will fall. Don't worry about the CCs or lack thereof. We don't usually see a huge change in CC unless something really odd i happening. The only thing odd is the green in the filter. Can't help but wonder if there is something about your fill water contributing to this issue. :scratch:

I shouldn’t have any CC though to pass SLAM. correct?
My fill water is municipal treated water. FC 2 CC 1 and smells strongly of chlorine/chloramines so probably not helpful. Just weird It’s still pulling algae into the filter when the pool looks great. I’ll maintain SLAM levels a little longer to be safe. Thanks Tex!

SLAM’d, good for maybe a week then algae back. Going to try MA SLAM but I’m wondering if the sun shade above the pool any be the culprit. It doesnt cover the pool completely but I use it to keep debris falling into the pool from maple tree nearby. It’s mesh so has probably become a teabag of algae spores directly above my pool that “reinfects“ whenever it rains? Have maintained FC 7-9 minimum since slam CYA 60. pH 7.6-8. I keep no other ladder, equipment or toys in the pool. Even now with the slight yellow green bottom accumulation my FC doesn’t drop more than 2ppm per day and CC always reads zero. ???
should I switch to a solid shade like a tarp to direct rain water away from pool? Without the shade i get a lot more bugs and leaves etc.

Thanks

I am not positive you are seeing algae. It typically does not float into your skimmer when the rest of your pool stays clear. Got any pics?

Use that VERY good test kit you own and post up your numbers as of right now........Post those numbers up but do NOT add anything else to your pool until we can see your test results.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.