Jun 20, 2021
Houston
FC: 5
CC: 0
pH: 7.5
TA: 100
CH: 475
CYA: 40

I just started using TFP about two weeks ago, and my water is looking better than ever. I did an initial SLAM, and my FC levels have been good. However, I've noticed a bit of green algae forming the last two days. I was expecting my FC to be low, but today it was at 5.

I have been lowering my TA for a week now. It was at 220 a week ago. So I have been adding MA each day to bring PH down to 7.0 and using my fountains to create aeration to bring the PH back up.

It's possible that I have miscalculated the size of my pool (10,000 gallons). It's basically a 29 foot long kidney-shaped pool with an extra half circle sitting area, and only five feet deep in the middle.

Any thoughts on why I'm seeing algae forming?

Thanks,
Jim

Jim,
Two thoughts, with the additions of MA if it hit what you've been targeting on the PH then you can assume the calculation of gallons is right. Also many people do slams and end it too early either by not having met all 3 criteria or by barely getting the OCLT or simply by doing something wrong. I'd recommend a second slam and once you get a good OCLT then give it one more day of slam followed with OCLT for extra insurance.

Reactions: jimwill
Welcome to TFP! :wave: Stick with the SLAM Process, it works. Also be sure to use our PoolMath APP and link your test results to your TFP profile so we can see all your numbers. Good luck! Happy 4th!

full

Reactions: Snoobug and jimwill
Just babysit the pool for 2 days and it'll come full circle real fast. Just did a 27' AGP ,started with swampy green water and it had full circle to crystal clear in 6 days. The magic here on TFP works very well when followed to the letter.

Reactions: jimwill
I just completed an OCLT (overnight FC loss test). FC was 17 last night after dark, and this morning before the sun came up it was 16.

CC has been practically zero since I started, and filter pressure has been fine. The water looks cleaner than ever.

So I believe it has passed the three tests. Should I continue the shock level for another day and do another overnight test for good measure?

I would go another day or two. Does not cost much since you are already at SLAM level. Use this time to really brush and scrub everything. Do you have lights with a niche check behind them. Get that weir door and skimmer fully clean.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.