Green algae after shocking pool

Yaeugd

Aug 15, 2017
Long Island, NY
I have been having some stubborn algae spots this season. I brush the pool regularly and especially in those areas. I shock the pool regularly, started to use Algaecide, have ideal numbers for the pool and still get green algae a day or two after shocking the pool. It’s mostly patches in certain areas. Using trichlor pucks this season.

ph 7.5
Cya 40
Fc 4
Tc 3
Alkalinity 140
TH 275

at this point I’m thinking of using phosfree

Taylor kit and going to pool store later today to double check. Call has been crystal clear I just have a couple like a little area then keep flaring up it could be that it gets cold at night and the pool is about 85° during the day my neighbor said who also is having something similar

Look, algae flare ups are not something that should be considered normal. They happen very rarely in a pool managed to TFPC spec. Unfortunately they are so common in the inadequate methods taught by pool stores and their suppliers that such things are considered normal. Of course, normalizing algae blooms despite "ideal numbers" pushes the sales of algaecides and phosphate removers (of which phosfree is so watered down that it is practically pure profit for the pool store) so there's certainly a financial incentive to propagating the idea.

Bottom line: if you want to buy in to TFP it is going to take a good test kit, staying out of the pool store........even for testing, and the willingness to throw away a lot of what you think you know about water care. If you want to buy in to the pool store you can, but it is going to require deep pockets and a "yeah, this is good enough" mentality.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.