Granite Grip pool makeover

teecee2021

Silver Supporter
Jun 16, 2021
Houston TX
Creating this thread to chronicle my experience with Behr Granite Grip product. After much reading and searching, I settled on that to do a makeover on this 25 year old pool we recently purchased.

The home is in great shape, but the pool has seen better days. Future plans include a full makeover...but the budget (and the wife) says Nope! Not for a long time!

Overall, Im very pleased with the results. There are some things I'd do differently if I had to do it again and will mention those along the way.

Pics below are what it looked like when we first got the place. Dirt and grime everywhere, algae and mold stains on the tile, coping and deck. And a very odd odor that I couldnt figure out where it was coming from.

Attachments

• old pool 3.jpeg
    old pool 3.jpeg
    207.9 KB · Views: 58
  • old pool 1.jpeg
    old pool 1.jpeg
    205.5 KB · Views: 58
A good power wash and 1/2 drain and refill --after letting the pool guy go--clear water and shiny concrete...but that odor! Where in the heck is it coming from???

Attachments

• aftwer power wash b2.jpg
    aftwer power wash b2.jpg
    495.7 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
...from that old grout. That's where..... It was years of gunk in, and under, the grout and old backing foam.

Tip #1. Removing the old grout was a cinch with the scraper attachment on the oscillating tool. $40 at Harbor Freight. (knee pads for old men knees are optional)

Attachments

• remove old grout.jpg
    remove old grout.jpg
    612.2 KB · Views: 31
Thorough;y Power washed again with bleach and let it dry for a couple days. Then started taping.

Tip #2: Use the weather proof tape everywhere. (yellow in the picture) Also, double layer it and make sure it is secured.

Tip #3 We severely underestimated the amount of overspray there would be, and didnt have nearly enough coverage with the plastic. Use 2 to 3 times more than I did here...and cover your water if possible.

Attachments

• tape edges--more.jpg
    tape edges--more.jpg
    697 KB · Views: 40
  • almost ready to spray.jpg
    almost ready to spray.jpg
    600.5 KB · Views: 40
The Granite Grip product sheet says to apply with a texture roller or sprayer. I opted for the texture sprayer and found one at Harbor Freight on sale for <$30. You'll need an air compressor if you dont already have one.

Tip #4 practice on an inconspicuous area or cinder block to get a nice even layer and hone your sprayer skills. Too little, or too much isnt good. Especially too much--It globs and runs. Do 2 to 3 relatively thin layers, but enough to cover, at least 6 hours apart.

(and Dont forget Tip #3 above...watch the over spray!)

Tip #5 Let it dry for several days BEFORE trying to remove the masking tape. Otherwise it may peel with the tape (learned the hard way) I also covered the whiole area with a tarp to protect from summer afternoon showers.

Tip #6 when reinstalling the grout, if your area has ANY slope at all...dont use the self-leveling product. Use the polyurethane sealant instead.

Really nice job! I don’t have a need for the Granite Grip as my coping is flagstone, but it has stains from tree sap and other junk that gets trapped under the edges of the winter cover. Looks like you were able to get yours pretty clean with power washing. I need to try that on my coping. Does anyone know if bleach will discolor flagstone? Exposed aggregate decking?

Greetings from another Houston resident with a 1980's vintage pool! That sure makes a big change!

I updated my pool decking with Encore Cool! (see 2 year review here) but at the time decided to leave the original pre-formed concrete coping alone. This is making me reconsider, possibly....

Reactions: teecee2021
Hey There fellow Houstonian! Looks like your pool and mine could be sisters. lol

That Encore cool looks great! Considered covering the deck, but decided to keep and refresh the pebble look.

I didnt know squat about pools prior to purchasing this place, so my original thought was to knock off and replace the coping...given how it looked. I hadnt realized at the time that it was formed concrete. This product seemed to offer the look I wanted, and the seal/coverage needed for this site. I bought a single gallon to evaluate and practice spraying, and decided to move forward. It took about 3 1/2 gallons for the entire project of approx 108 linear feet of coping. I seriously thought about paying someone to do this job...but glad I didnt. BIggest challenge? Trying to stay cool in H-Town humidity!
Greetings from another Houston resident with a 1980's vintage pool! That sure makes a big change!

I updated my pool decking with Encore Cool! (see 2 year review here) but at the time decided to leave the original pre-formed concrete coping alone. This is making me reconsider, possibly....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hey There fellow Houstonian! Looks like your pool and mine could be sisters. lol

That Encore cool looks great! Considered covering the deck, but decided to keep and refresh the pebble look.

I didnt know squat about pools prior to purchasing this place, so my original thought was to knock off and replace the coping...given how it looked. I hadnt realized at the time that it was formed concrete. This product seemed to offer the look I wanted, and the seal/coverage needed for this site. I bought a single gallon to evaluate and practice spraying, and decided to move forward. It took about 3 1/2 gallons for the entire project of approx 108 linear feet of coping. I seriously thought about paying someone to do this job...but glad I didnt. BIggest challenge? Trying to stay cool in H-Town humidity!
The Cool product seems to be holding up really well. But yeah- I'd definitely keep the exposed aggregate deck, so long as it's not badly cracking or anything. My existing deck had a few cracks and just generally looked awful. The coping, well, looks like old concrete. It was either going back with Kool Deck or trying something new, and I considered coating the coping at that time but ultimately decided to just leave it as-is, with a good cleanup. Not entirely sure this house (or Houston) is for forever so holding back on dropping the big bucks. LOL

Reactions: teecee2021
@sacredcow This entire makeover came in at a hair over $400. -- $240 paint, $120 grout, concrete sealer, and backing. $30 sprayer. $20 tape and painters plastic. $10 grey sand.

Pretty good results for not a lot of coin. Im betting it will hold up for 2 - 3 years before we do a real revamp of the entire pool. But if it doesnt, then I'd just re-spray it until we tear it out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.