Grackle Season

J Mccue

Mar 5, 2021
Chicago suburbs
For about 4 years now, my husband and I have had No grackle poop in the pool. We still have grackles, but my husband stays on it. Our yard has a border (neighbor) of some type of Evergreen trees, roughly 18ft. high. When they start to flock and gather in them,he gives them a few days, then goes out with a pole that is 18 ft. long and knocks down all the nests. The birds do a lot of hollering, but leave the nest! He does not kill the birds, just blasts the nests to the ground, picks them up and throws them away. He also wears a hard hat when he does this, for the few birds who want to put up a good fight. He also gets the nest down before eggs are laid. He now knows the difference between a sparrow nest and grackle nest. The grackle nest is Long. He checks these trees once a week. A little time consuming, but we are free of those disgusting poop balls!

Reactions: DiverGirl1972
Welcome to TFP and thanks for the tip.

I string up fishing line, criss cross above our pool. The grackles won't fly over anymore and drop those poop sacs. They also like to drop them on your freshly washed and waxed car.

Reactions: J Mccue
I've posted in previous years about our struggles with these birds and their darn :poop: sacs. The trees that surround our property line are very tall, multi layers deep, are behind a fence and not on our property. We've tried SO many things, to no avail. I truly feel there is just no fighting mother nature in this situation! lol I had almost forgotten about what we're about to face until I stumbled upon this post. 😭

Last year (and our plan again this year), will be to put down a big ole tarp (on top of our safety cover) all around the pool and pool deck and wait it out. It's a trade off...It makes it easier to clean up, though I do have to pump the water off the tarp when it rains.

They also bombard our "frog pond", vehicles and anything else they can drop their "gifts" on. Last year, my pool log said the first sacs appeared on May 4th and they didn't stop until the second week in June. Heavy sigh....

Reactions: J Mccue
I string up fishing line, criss cross above our pool. The grackles won't fly over anymore and drop those poop sacs. They also like to drop them on your freshly washed and waxed car.
I've posted in previous years about our struggles with these birds and their darn :poop: sacs. The trees that surround our property line are very tall, multi layers deep, are behind a fence and not on our property. We've tried SO many things, to no avail. I truly feel there is just no fighting mother nature in this situation! lol I had almost forgotten about what we're about to face until I stumbled upon this post. 😭

Last year (and our plan again this year), will be to put down a big ole tarp (on top of our safety cover) all around the pool and pool deck and wait it out. It's a trade off...It makes it easier to clean up, though I do have to pump the water off the tarp when it rains.

They also bombard our "frog pond", vehicles and anything else they can drop their "gifts" on. Last year, my pool log said the first sacs appeared on May 4th and they didn't stop until the second week in June. Heavy sigh....
Good Luck!!

I've had the grackle issue last 3 years.... but this year.... this year is different.

The Grackles show up every year and start to holler in my everygreen trees all around my pool, and I'd see them dive bomb the poop into my pool constantly, or leaving the poop sacks all along the edges.... 10, 15, 20 in a row. It was soooooo disgusting!!!!!

But... this year is different. This thing, of which I have no affiliation.... WORKS LIKE A CHAMP!!!!!!

They have a new "Grackle" version, that sounds like a Grackle in distress, and also has bird of prey sounds.
Dang birds came around this year, and I immediately put this thing outside. It took about 3 days... and they DO NOT come around any more. They have learned to avoid my area entirely.

First day, they actually swarmed into the trees looking to see what was going on perhaps? 2nd day.... they came and left earlier than normal... 3rd day even less came.... 4th day.... they just aren't coming back anymore.

Highly worth the cost in my opinion... Just make sure to get the version 2 that does the grackles.

I set mine up to only go off during daylight hours (there is a sensor), and I change the sounds periodically so the birds don't notice a pattern. It also goes of at random intervals within a specified time range. Pretty slick device.

So forget the nets, tarps, and whatever else... only other thing I bought was a fake owl that has a head that bobs around in the wind.

• Love
Reactions: Newdude
Well, I just bought this thing.... though I found it on Amazon (version 2 for the grackles) for about $40.00 less than their website, so that made me feel a little bit better! lol

I guess we'll see how it goes! Honestly, my hopes are quite low, as there have been countless other examples of bird deterrent strategies that seem to work for some, but not others (me!! lol). I'm hoping if I can get this thing going now before their nests are fully made, it might convince them to go elsewhere. Fingers crossed... I'll post an update thread in a month or so! Thanks for the suggestion, @Revlus.

Good luck @DiverGirl1972 ! I was skeptical too... as this thing at first had bad reviews.... because their version 1 didn't account for grackles. But their version 2 is specifically for grackles and other black birds, and it has worked like a champ for me. Their instructions do say it can take a few weeks. Perhaps that's if they are already established in the area. I got mine out the first day they arrived, so perhaps I had better luck. They also suggested using multiple strategies for deterring them will work even better, hence the owl I have. But they left before I even got it outside.
Don't be discouraged when they don't all just fly off on the very first day.

Reactions: DiverGirl1972
In my area, they are in full fledged nesting mode... I don't have the thing sounding off at night... by morning, dang things are all over my trees. So in the morning I put it to "random short interval" mode... usually by 10am they are all gone and that incessant noise gets quiet. We can't have it on when we are outside enjoying the back yard, so they all came back quickly in a few hours.. started finding scraps to build a nest with, hopping all over my trees. I put it back on and they all just stopped what they were doing, but sat still for awhile... then they all eventually flew off.

So.. .in the morning I go short interval, in the afternoon I'm at medium so it doesn't drive myself and neighbors too crazy. Seems to be the happy place for my situation. But only time will tell if I see those dang poop sacks again. But I have high hopes! Incidentally, it's also keeping those doves away that just love to sit on my deck railings and poop all over them. So that's also good.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Last year I had issues with Grackles and poop in the pool. I was getting hundreds of droppings a day, and I couldn't clean up fast enough. I did a lot of google searches and it seems that nothing is a 100% solution, but they did give me some ideas. I ran 50# fishing line over the pool in three locations and I attached streamers of "scare" tape, which I got from Amazon. The poop in the pool stopped, either the "scare" tape worked or it's a coincidence.

20200704_153743.jpg

Last year I had issues with Grackles and poop in the pool. I was getting hundreds of droppings a day, and I couldn't clean up fast enough. I did a lot of google searches and it seems that nothing is a 100% solution, but they did give me some ideas. I ran 50# fishing line over the pool in three locations and I attached streamers of "scare" tape, which I got from Amazon. The poop in the pool stopped, either the "scare" tape worked or it's a coincidence.

View attachment 322460
WOW! I am really happy that worked!!

I think these grackles are dropping baby mice in my pool! Two days two mice. First poop sacks, now mice?!?
I hate Grackle season, It seems to have started early this year, our winter cover was loaded with poop sacks when we removed it, and it already seems like the number of sacks in the pool is decreasing. Good luck, I've never seen them drop baby mice, although I have seen them srop dead baby birds in the pool.

I hate Grackle season, It seems to have started early this year, our winter cover was loaded with poop sacks when we removed it, and it already seems like the number of sacks in the pool is decreasing. Good luck, I've never seen them drop baby mice, although I have seen them srop dead baby birds in the pool.
Me too...its horrible. Im wondering if the mice fell in, because your right, why would they drop them? But last year they dropped a dead oriole in the pool

They clean their nests and if there is a dead mouse in the nest that gets dumped. They dump their babies if they die in the nest too. We are getting an above ground pool installed this year, and I hope I get a couple of years grace period before they find our pool. My neighbor 2 houses down has a big in ground pool so maybe they won’t find mine. 🤣 We live next to a green space and creek so there are tons of trees and grackles.

Reactions: Decoy205

View attachment 322460
Hi! I just tried this…. Praying it works. Couple questions:
Do you leave it up all season? We live in NY and as of June 3rd this has been going on last 2 weeks.
Does it still work on rainy/cloudy days?
I did center of pool, hoping it’s enough, attached picture.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    777.9 KB · Views: 46
Hi! I just tried this…. Praying it works. Couple questions:
Do you leave it up all season? We live in NY and as of June 3rd this has been going on last 2 weeks.
Does it still work on rainy/cloudy days?
I did center of pool, hoping it’s enough, attached picture.
I don't leave it up all summer, in our area, Grackle season is over about the middle of June, so usually the third week in June I take down the scare tape and save it for the next year. I think it works better on breezy days regardless of sun or rain.

I've also added wind spinners on their normal flight paths, that seems to make them fly higher and they miss the pool more often.

All the measures do not eliminate the mess, but I believe it does reduce the droppings. Before I put up the scare tape and the wind spinners, I was getting over 100 dropping in the pool a day and I couldn't clean it up fast enough. Now I get between 10 & 20 droppings, which is manageable,,,,, still discusting.

My Grackle problem is due to a neighbor's evergreen tree, there are 30 to 40 nests in the tree and it's only 80 feet from my pool,,,, and thanks to TFP my sparkling water is a perfect target. I've thought about setting fire crackers off under the tree during their nest building period, but I'm afraid it would lead to an very angry neighbor.

I don't leave it up all summer, in our area, Grackle season is over about the middle of June, so usually the third week in June I take down the scare tape and save it for the next year. I think it works better on breezy days regardless of sun or rain.

I've also added wind spinners on their normal flight paths, that seems to make them fly higher and they miss the pool more often.

All the measures do not eliminate the mess, but I believe it does reduce the droppings. Before I put up the scare tape and the wind spinners, I was getting over 100 dropping in the pool a day and I couldn't clean it up fast enough. Now I get between 10 & 20 droppings, which is manageable,,,,, still discusting.

My Grackle problem is due to a neighbor's evergreen tree, there are 30 to 40 nests in the tree and it's only 80 feet from my pool,,,, and thanks to TFP my sparkling water is a perfect target. I've thought about setting fire crackers off under the tree during their nest building period, but I'm afraid it would lead to an very angry neighbor.
Lol, I vote dynamite!
I thought I was losing my mind until I saw all these threads. Same problem for us, we have evergreen trees in the neighbors yards around our house, 30’-40’ tall. We couldn’t reach the nests without a professional climber, plus they are in neighboring yards not ours. We have had the pool 3 years and this is our first horror show of bombers. I don’t mind any of the other birds in our yard/neighborhood, an occasional poop on deck is no big deal. This is 30+ poops a day with most in the pool itself. I want these grackles dead and gone.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.